Can anyone provide advice on appealing against listing removal?

Answered!
Lisa990
Level 4
Omaha, NE

Can anyone provide advice on appealing against listing removal?

I made a big mistake thinking that a period of negative reviews would not effect my listing on AirBnB. My place was suspended one week ago and a few days later, after I had already made some significant changes based on the reviews. Unfortunately, during the suspension a guest, who gave me some good advice, ended up giving me a 3 star overall rating. That put my listing in queue to be removed in one month. 

Can anyone share their experience with this type of appeal to avoid deactivation and removal of a listing? My place is at a current 4.7 star average. I have purchased a new, larger bed and mattress,  had a gap in the ceiling repaired and painted  and purchased new linens and some furniture. I can and will do more if it will really make a difference. Guests always comment on how safe and friendly the neighborhood is and that the location is convenient. I don't charge a lot and am consistently booked. 

The good news is 2 guests who stayed after I was told my listing would be removed,  were very happy and gave me 5 stars but my 3rd and most recent guest did not communicate very much.  Do I  not review this silent guest? Because my experience in the past has been that people that don't respond are sometimes unhappy (if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all). Or, should I wait a few days and reach out again to the guest just to make sure that everything was great during his stay?

1 Best Answer

@Lisa990 Classic customer service! Anyway your last 'appeal' seems to be successful so let's hope you will survive on Airbnb.

In my experience people still expect a gold purse at a sows ear price and rate accordingly. The more improvements you can make the better.

You could consider the following which we put in our 1 page apartment manual (after the safety/internet bits).

We hope you enjoyed your time with us and will leave a review on Airbnb. The Airbnb system is somewhat strange in that an average of 4.7 stars is ‘the level of performance that’s expected from hosts on Airbnb’.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Lisa990 

I've clarified your post title and moved it to another part of the Community Center which I'm hoping will give it better visibility, so that our Hosts can come and give you some support on this.

Have you contacted Airbnb with regards to appealing yet, or are you seeking information before doing so?

There's a wealth of information and links here which might also be helpful.

Please keep us updated on how things progress.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes, I have started the appeal process. In my appeal I posted pictures of updates and before and after repair pictures. I included quotes of the negative reviews that were related to each picture but did not include the reservation code. I am just waiting for their response. I can understand their needing solid proof that I have made improvements and needing to improve reviews. I honestly don't think some of the guests realize that a negative review or rating, can have such a devastating effect on a host. Most of my reviews are extremely positive. I do understand if there is a rash of negative observations, that it would be a red flag. Threatening removal is definitely a way to get a host's attention. 

Thank you Lisa 

the exact same thing is happening to us know 

love the helplessness feeling 😞 

We will commence the appeal process i guess 

May i ask how long did it take them to reinstate everything ? 

Long story short: AirBnB initially rejected my appeal. This was part of the message:

However, the very next day I received this message:

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Lisa990 Classic customer service! Anyway your last 'appeal' seems to be successful so let's hope you will survive on Airbnb.

In my experience people still expect a gold purse at a sows ear price and rate accordingly. The more improvements you can make the better.

You could consider the following which we put in our 1 page apartment manual (after the safety/internet bits).

We hope you enjoyed your time with us and will leave a review on Airbnb. The Airbnb system is somewhat strange in that an average of 4.7 stars is ‘the level of performance that’s expected from hosts on Airbnb’.

America’s-BNB0
Level 2
Pigeon Forge, TN

Hi Lisa- Did you ever get this figured out? If so how? I am having a similar issue. Thank you!

Have you deleted some of your poorer performing listings @America’s-BNB0  I ask because your current listings have higher ratings, so I can only think you have removed your poorer performing ones as your overall rating is 4.62.

Important for you to remember even if you delete your poorer performing listings the ratings will still stay .

No I did not delete them. I had a stretch of 3 bad reviews in a row though. 

@America’s-BNB0 Looks like the appeal worked. I just checked her listing, and there are a lot of bookings for this month. 

Most of them will be cancelled