Challenging and Questionable New Host Experience with ABnB

Challenging and Questionable New Host Experience with ABnB

I am a new host in Florida and a guest with 0 reviews booked my home.  Upon discovery by my cleaning crew and verified by my outdoor cameras, the guests brought in 2 small dogs and 1 large dog,  with the 2 small dogs pulling and barking on leash.  

Unfortunately, bringing this to ABnB’s attention and asking for individual pet fee reimbursement, ABnB did not support me.

When ABnB supposedly investigated, they said the guests stated the dogs were emotional support animals.  I understand the need to adhere to federal guidelines, but there must be better vetting tools, similar to rental agreements, that better protect both hosts and guests.  I have been told some hosts require rental agreements and photo IDs in their house rules and I am curious as to how this works.  Does anyone employ these tools in their listings and, if so, would you mind sharing your experiences?

1 Reply 1
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I just charge $50 pet fee for up to 3 pets, dogs or cats. It’s like the per guest fee, that didn’t work either. We used to charge $119 for two guests and $149 for 4. So people said 2 and brought 4. Now we just charge $149 for 1-4 guests. If there’s a loophole, people will find it.