Cleaning fee or none?

Answered!
Clair16
Level 2
Mossyrock, WA

Cleaning fee or none?

Recently we did some traveling and booked most of our stays through Airbnb. ( we usually do). Some places have cleaning fees some don’t. We have always had cleaning fees but with all the added extra fees and taxes that guests pay, I kind of think it’s nice not to have that added fee. 
as a host, have you gone back and forth from one to the other? Do you find that you get more bookings with or without? And if you go without how much do you raise your price to compensate? Thanks for the feedback! 

1 Best Answer
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Clair16 , 

I had a cleaning fee on my listings to begin with, but my experience was that people then thought they could leave the place in a really bad state, so I removed the cleaning fee and instead ask people to do the cleaning themselves. Some do, some do some, and some don't, but at least no-one now thinks its ok to leave the place a mess. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Clair16 , 

I had a cleaning fee on my listings to begin with, but my experience was that people then thought they could leave the place in a really bad state, so I removed the cleaning fee and instead ask people to do the cleaning themselves. Some do, some do some, and some don't, but at least no-one now thinks its ok to leave the place a mess. 

Hi Solveig0, 

I’m sorry to hear that.  I haven’t had that as an ongoing issue. Most guests follow my rules and do the dishes take out trash and make sure there are no big messes. 
Im really just trying to figure out what is the best solution for getting the most bookings. It really may not matter in the long run. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

The cleaning fee is the wrong name. Guests wrongly assume it's all about cleaning but it is not.

It would be so much better if it would be called "Turnover fee" or "Long stay discount" or "Short stay fee" or "Check-in fee" or whatever ...

It is not just cleaning and laundry service cost, it's time spent for messaging, going to and from location, waiting for them to arrive etc.. And it doesn't cover even half of it.

No way we would remove it in favor of one-nighters and then overcharge those who stay longer.

Brands and Silvia0, 

I think that is true as far as the name. 
I figured by raising my prices by $20.00, that guests staying for a day or two would pay a little less but it’s generally easier clean up. 
longer stays equal more mess, more use of electricity, water, garbage. And more wear and tear.  Also we give  longer stays discounts. I figure it kind of evens out. 
Our place is listed on the lower side for homes in our area. So I think raising our rates a little is fine. 
I will give that a little more thought. 
Thank you.