Coronavirus government benefits

Answered!
Emily1159
Level 2
Pagosa Springs, CO

Coronavirus government benefits

Very disappointed in Airbnb - they are trying to tell us (hosts) that the tax relief package has something in it for us. It does not!  I have read the legislation details for my work as a tax accountant.  There is no relief for rental property owners, people whose primary or supplemental income comes from their vacation rentals, etc.

The ONLY relief, and that is questionable because it is shown as a 'deferment' not a gift, is to folks who file a Schedule C treating their rental income as self-employment, or have 'employees', which most of us do not.  You could go through the tedious process of applying for a disaster loan, but that is not a replacement of lost income, and it must be paid back eventually.  If you've heard about the govt forgiving those loans, well yes, - if you keep all of your 'employees' on the payroll during this time. 

Again, who of us has employees?  Airbnb, go back to Congress and lobby for our losses! Marriott and Hilton-type of lodging businesses and the airlines are getting all of it and we're getting zip. What a disgrace!

1 Best Answer

Airbnb should clarify options and opportunities. A 15-minute poor-me presentation doesn't help. We need detailed information.

I am speaking with my bank about the SBA loans for loss of income regardless of whether or not I have employees. Not sure if we'll qualify but it appears we may.

Also, reference was made to hosts that rely on Airbnb revenues for personal income qualifying for unemployment insurance. We are looking into that as well.

It's important to research every option with the decision-makers that control the option. It's unwise to rely on interpretations based on the theoretical.

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

HI.. I'm from Bali our benefit really depends on what ever the president wants to say and decide.. some time good president, some time not so good president..

@Emily1159 do you have to pay tax toward money you never receive/ earn.. that is harsh.. isn't it true that you can alter it to the customer(guest) responsibility?? like in a hotel where they pay the tax upon check out when we apply 15% (service charge)+ 11.5%(tax)..   just wandering, and queries of the unknown ..

is different in every country..

Jeffrey Bong

@Manasui0  No tax paid on cancelled reservations. 

@Emily1159 

sorry to know you still have to get tax.. when no payment is receive..

Jeffrey Bong
Tiff0
Level 9
Washington D.C., DC

Just like AirBNB, District of Columbia's Council voted for a "$250 Millon dollar COVID Relief Bill" for the 'self employed and independent contractors". Both entiteis benefited by a ton of press. Similiar to AirBNB's $250 Million Dollar COVID Fund, the DC COVID fund netted zero to the self employed.

After a month of waiting, an honorable investment of time to fill out the application, DC dumped all 1600 applications, 21% of the applicant pool, without notifying any applicant. DC falsely believes the CARES act will offer "unemployment benefits to the self employed".  Most of the self employed, if they are AirBNB hosts applying, are not eligible for unemployment, which is the reason they applied to the DC COVID bill in the first place. If they file their income as rental income and do not use a Schedule C and report it as self employment income--they cannot legally qualify for those benefits. 

This means that the sum obtained from a half of billion dollars of so-called COVID relief offered to a self employed AirBNB host is $8.20.  If one more company or one more politician falsely promises COVID relief to the self employed without producing they should be shunned quite honestly. What a constant joke----lots of positive press for big business and policiticans and lots of time and hopes obliterated for the self employed. 

I love that contributing 14% in occupancy taxes  PLUS additioanl 14% in rental income PLUS 3.5% of fees to AIRBNB (31.5% of our gross income)  equals being completely ignored by Federal and local government and AirBNB. The self employed are disposable but lovely how their taxes and fees paid are not. 

Please no more bogus COVID relief announcements. It is exhausting to us all. 

Tiff0
Level 9
Washington D.C., DC

As a follow up to this post, the Mayor's office did not drop all the self employed. They added money to the fund and anyone who qualified for the Microgrant gets $1000!

Mark121
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Yes I have been waiting as well. Brian mentioned in his big Video presentation that AirBnB would be helping Super Hosts, and that he and others have donated $9 million of their own money for a relief fund that we would not have to pay back! I have two listings with over 200 reviews (4.9 stars) and I have been with AirBnB over 5 years and have been a Superhost the entire time with exception of 3 months(due to a bad review from guest that never stayed w/me (now removed))... and I have not received even an EMAIL!!!! They kept saying we would hear late April.... well here we are. Perhaps he was hoping his video would hit the news? Has anyone been helped??