Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Edinburgh new to hosting - CEC property in Morningside

Answered!

Edinburgh new to hosting - CEC property in Morningside

Hi fellow hosts.  I am brand new to hosting.  I rent a property from Edinburgh Council in Morningside.  My son recently moved out and the property is now very empty and too quiet.  I was wondering if I could occasionally rent the spare room, or if there are any restrictions from Edinburgh Council on this.  Thank you all and best regards.

Top Answer
Veronique243
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

You will need to apply for a home sharing licence and as a new operator, you cannot take guests until you get your licence. The licencing regulations can be found here:

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory-record/1542802/short-term-lets

Short term letting is defined as any form of renting where it is not the guests primary home - so if you took in a lodger, licencing would not apply. The council is generally much more kindly disposed towards home sharing than secondary letting, so as long as you meet the criteria and pay the fee, you are likely to get your licence.

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Von2108,

I hope you’re doing well!

I noticed you’ve listed your property, but it seems like you might still be in the process of setting everything up. Please let us know if you need any advice along the way—we’re here to help!

In the meantime, while other hosts in your area see your post, I wanted to share this article that offers some insights about local regulations in Edinburgh: Responsible hosting in the United Kingdom.

I hope you find it helpful!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Veronique243
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

You will need to apply for a home sharing licence and as a new operator, you cannot take guests until you get your licence. The licencing regulations can be found here:

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory-record/1542802/short-term-lets

Short term letting is defined as any form of renting where it is not the guests primary home - so if you took in a lodger, licencing would not apply. The council is generally much more kindly disposed towards home sharing than secondary letting, so as long as you meet the criteria and pay the fee, you are likely to get your licence.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

@Veronique243 thank you so much for the great advice—I really appreciate it! 🙏

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thank you, @Veronique243 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you're a tenant in social housing I believe it's against the terms of your tenancy to do this but do check on your tenancy agreement @Von2108 

If you are allowed to do this by the Council then check the STR regulations on the Edinburgh Council website to see if you meet the conditions required to apply for an STR licence.