Feminine hygiene product disposal

Answered!
Jane3713
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

Feminine hygiene product disposal

Hello, we are about to begin hosting. Our rental is on a septic system and we don't want tampons and the like to be flushed. I am thinking about providing individual disposal bags. Do any of you do this?

1 Best Answer
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Jane3713  I also live on a septic system and I absolutely don’t want diddily squat going down my toilet. So don’t discriminate because there is something called dude wipes for men. And, oh, don’t forget baby wipes and adult wipes. 

So in my house rules I state:

I live on a septic system, so please:

NO types of wipes, even biodegradable ones, flushed down the toilet. 

NO female products

NO floss (when I purchased my home, the home inspector told me this one) 

Please dispose of these items in grocery bags located under the sink counter and then throw in trash can. Please put your trash out on Tuesdays before noon to be picked up by garbage man. 

I have a similar house rule for the kitchen. NO food or grease down drain. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Jane3713  I also live on a septic system and I absolutely don’t want diddily squat going down my toilet. So don’t discriminate because there is something called dude wipes for men. And, oh, don’t forget baby wipes and adult wipes. 

So in my house rules I state:

I live on a septic system, so please:

NO types of wipes, even biodegradable ones, flushed down the toilet. 

NO female products

NO floss (when I purchased my home, the home inspector told me this one) 

Please dispose of these items in grocery bags located under the sink counter and then throw in trash can. Please put your trash out on Tuesdays before noon to be picked up by garbage man. 

I have a similar house rule for the kitchen. NO food or grease down drain. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jane3713 @Gwen386 

Even if you do not have a septic system, this is a problem. Apart from the environmental impact, I have had major blockages caused by people flushing make up wipes down the toilet. As mentioned, even the ones that say they are 'biodegradable' or 'flushable' should never actually be flushed. Every plumber/drainage engineer I have spoken to about it has told me that.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

It is the same for us, we live on an island so septic tanks everywhere, We have signs on the wall near to the toilet and small bins next to the toilets, Most of the time we have been ok, occasionally we get one.

We had one woman block the toilets twice in a week, the second time I charged her.

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Jane3713 

We have an old place with old plumbing. We replaced the 50's toilet, but the old pipe is still down there. We have a cute sign about not flushing anything except tp and your own waste, and a very small trash can that opens by a foot lever, I line it with those disposable plastic grocery bags. So far, so good. People do use it for those items, I know, because I empty it and clean it. (TMI, I am sure) It beats paying a plumber, or fishing it out myself.

Ted & Chris
Jane3713
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

I really don't want to see the waste either that's why I thought the disposable paper bags (that you can't see through) would be an option. I'm 10 years post-menopausal. I thought that I was done with dealing with it. 😂😂

@Jane3713 

Just something else to buy! I use free thin plastic produce bags from Safeway. The little stainless trash can with a foot pedal was 2 for $10 at an estate sale. Worth it's weight in gold, people use it!

Ted & Chris