Guest claiming that we have cameras in our apartment - Possible Scammer?

Guest claiming that we have cameras in our apartment - Possible Scammer?

We have a Ring video doorbell outside our apartment. Last night around 7 pm, we saw the guest leaving with his luggage even though he was supposed to check out today. THen 45 minutes later, the police were at our door. I wanted to contact the guest, but my wife said why?; he just won't respond.

Then overnight we get an email from Airbnb stating that we may be violating their policy because we have recording devices. We clearly state in the listing and house rules that we have a Ring doorbell and (2) Echo dots in the apartment so they can play music, turn on/off the lights, etc. They scheduled a call for 6 pm tonight. I tried calling to speak to someone immediately but was told I have to wait for them. They did say that the guest provided "proof".

Is this a setup? Has anyone had anything like this happen to them or heard of this situation? Could I really lose my listing due to a lying guest? Thanks.

Shawn

17 Replies 17

@Max-and-Shawn0,

Since the guest unplugged the Echo dot, did he also unplug "camera" night light, too?

My wife is actually furious because the rep said it looked like a camera to her too! But I had too much evidence that it was a night light. No, he did not unplug the "cameras" and did not contact us about it. If you wave your hand in front of them, they light up so you can see it is a night light.

The rep said they would call between 4 pm - 6 pm (and they did). I sent my proof right away and she took off my restriction within the hour. But all day, my listing was not available. I was guilty until I proved my innocence.

I don't feel like I should have to change the lights because of one person; bu I may put a pic from amazon in the listing.

@Max-and-Shawn0,

I don't think you should have to change the nightlights, and the picture showing the nightlight is a great way to notify guests of the feature.