Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

On a daily basis we are seeing posts from hosts seeking information about insuring their properties while hosting, so I felt it is about time to lay out the landscape where hosting insurance is at in this country, (Australia).

Here is Australia we are fortunate to have a number of good insurance options available and, I would urge every host to take note of these options and use one or the other. This being a possibly less litigious society than the US, companies are more inclined to insure the hosting risk here! Also the volume of hosting in this country has risen to the point where companies are now seeing hosting insurance as a valuable addition to their risk portfolio.

Firstly there has been a lot of talk, and possibly misplaced trust, in Airbnb's Host Protection Scheme (HPS)! This product is more loaded to protection from catastrophic damage, has extreme limitations on it, and in general should not be relied upon for protection a host is likely to require in their hosting experience. Even Airbnb state you should avail yourself of other cover options before trying to use this product. Typical of the sort of claims that Airbnb have declined to adequately address are....... a host's kitchen benchtop which was ruined when a guest put a saucepan from the stove directly onto the bench. The entire kitchen benchtop had to be replaced with a cost of many thousands of dollars.....at the hosts expence.

Another hosts outdoor furniture setting was ruined by a guests careless cigarette burn to one of the cushions. Once again, they were on their own. These are the events that you need insurance protection for and will find satisfactory compensation from the HPS virtually impossible.

To insurance options:

If you have a household general insurance policy there is every possibility the company will cancel your policy if they find out you are in a short term rental agreement with a hosting platform. I have had this advice direct from 4 major insurance companies, so, I would consider this stance to be the norm!

https://www.terrischeer.com.au

Terri Scheer are specalists in Landlord/Tennant insurance but do not get involved with short term rental agreements with a hosting platform or a shared property situation. Great if you are a landlord who has a rental property on the open rental market but will not entertain Airbnb.

https://sharecover.com

If you are listing a shared property (that is, on the same residential allotment) or a self contaned property and you are hosting a few guests per month there is a company called Sharecover! Above is a link to this company. This is the insurer I use, and is a part of the largest insurance group in Australia. Sharecover insures specifically for the Airbnb and the Stayz platforms. You only pay for cover for the nights that guests are on your property, and the cost of cover is from $3.50au per night. It does not take the place of general insurance....it's an addition to it.

You apply online in seconds and are issued a PDF of the policy document on the spot. You can literally insure as the guest walk to the door of your listing!

https://www.aami.com.au

AAMI have just recently (In February) introduce an insurance package that works with the Airbnb operation and is additional to their general insurance policy. This is also a good option because it keeps all general insurance under the one umberella! As this insurance cover is new, I have not been able to find any details of it as yet but will post as an update when I can secure!

http://www.ltmrisk.com.au/

There is also another company who provide similar cover to the hosting community for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM Risk Partners and is based in Western Australia and appears to be most active in Melbourne and Sydney.

All these companies provide either $10m or $20m public liability insurance but be aware that there are some traps where liability insurance is concerned!

Liability insurance will only cover guests and hosts on the insured property, and does not cover guests from their own negligence. If you allow guests to use bicycles that you may provide for them to cycle the local area there is no automatic liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured property! If they injure themselves diving from the top of the wardrobe cupboard onto the bed....they will, once again,  not be covered!

I suggest to all hosts to check out all of these companies individually and compare what each has to offer and make a decision based on what comes from 'the horses mouth', rather than depending on what I have stated here. I have selected a company and coverage that suits my needs but those will vary from host to host. 

But, forget about the Airbnb's host protection scheme.....it is nothing more than a marketing tool and in reality provides no coverage for protection the average host would ever be likely to need!....cheers......Rob

100 Replies 100
Ping-And-Daryl0
Level 7
East Launceston, AU

Hello fellow AirBNB hosts,  Does anyone have an update on the latest insurance offerings? We live in our listing which has 2 bedrooms and self contained apartment on ground level with separate entrance.  Our listing in Tasmania meets the requirements for short stays under local council act since it has only 2 bedrooms.

1. First we want to renew our primary insurance policy (home and contents). Trouble is Vero has indicated they will not renew our policy with this notation.  Any ideas here?

2.  Next I have a question about AirBNB insurance. The Host Protection Insurance PDS appears to cover public or thrid party liablity as specfied: 

What’s covered?

Our Host Protection Insurance programme provides primary liability coverage of up to $1 million USD per occurrence, in the event of third-party claims of bodily injury or property damage.

The programme covers certain property damage in common areas of a property outside of the listing itself (for example: a building lobby). Landlords and homeowner associations are also covered in certain cases when claims are filed against them due to a guest suffering an injury during a stay or a guest damages building property.

Certain conditions, limitations, and exclusions may apply.

Then there is a second AirBNB  policy cover called "Host Guarantee"

What’s protected?
  • Damage to a host’s property (home, unit, rooms, possessions)
  • Every Airbnb listing in every country
Payments made through our Host Guarantee are subject to certain conditions, limitations, and exclusions.

If damages occur, documentation (photos, receipts, etc.) will need to be provided as part of the resolution process. More details can be found in our  Host guarantee terms and conditions

Can someone please explain what isn't covered by AirBNB and why we should purchase additional cover for Short Stay Guests in addition to AirBNB cover.

3.  If we really need ShortTerm insurance cover, what are the best options as at Nov 2018? I tried Terr-Scheer, but was told if there are any shared or common areas they will NOT offer any cover. We have a shared area in the laundry only, so unless we lock the laundry we cannot use them.

I appreciate everyone's effort in this community forum.

NRMA and sharecover. they work together - NRMA for building cover and sharecover for AIrbnb side! reasonbly priced too. I have spent two days ringing around and I think these guys are the go! Tara

Tara174
Level 2
Cannonvale, Australia

update its November 2018.   NRMA and Sharecover are awesome. They work together - NRMA covered us for the building side for fires/storm etc and Sharecover do the AirBNB side.  You can take AIrbnb insurance out either annually, half yearly or nightly. I was advised that unless your house is rented more than 75% a year it may work better to pay annual, if not it may work out cheaper nightly. you can change anytime on how you want to do it!!  So happy we can relax a bit now and not worry if we are covered or not phew!! 🙂

Apparently this one does both in one.

https://www.rentcover.com.au/products/rentcovershortterm/

Our RAA (the NRMA vesrion of South Australia) did not want to insure us once we had guest for short stay.

Andreas401
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

I just found insurance that is supposed to cover Short-Term rentals (which I suppose does away with ShareCover) which includes the house and contents.  And you do not have to be living in the house for that to be effective (like SGIC for example need).

It is through EBM insurance brokers.  

https://www.rentcover.com.au/products/rentcovershortterm/

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

An update for 2018-2019 for hosts who live on the property.  For cover a few days at a time there is Sharecover. I rent for the full year. First year I went Sharecover which I had to take out in addition to my own insurance - very very expensive.  Last year I found an insurance broker who gave me Landlord insurance for short term which also covered me living on the premises through Trident - the only thing not covered were my own personal effects.  This year she has found one that covers everything.  Broker is Ceneta.

ps The cost for Landlord insurance which covers me as well is less than I was paying 3 years ago just for my home and contents, and now I also get Loss of Rent insurance in case the house is damaged and I have to cancel advance bookings.

Sheila158
Level 2
Hahndorf, Australia

See 7th Feb 2019 for up to date insurance. Sheila from Hahndorf. 

Natalie446
Level 2
Adelaide, AU

Just spoken to Rentcover - very impressive, and actually cheaper than my previous Coles contents insurance!

It goes without saying that as soon as I mentioned AirBNB, Coles refused to reinsure me.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Natalie446 

That's interesting Natalie, I might do a comparison.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 @Natalie446 

Hi I’ve requested a quote from rentcover. They don’t provide insurance product covering those short term rental homes with the owner occupying at the same time. However, if it’s an entire place short term rental property, they do provide very competitive policy.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joy298 

Hi Yang, did you mean Rentcover or Sharecover. 

Share cover is for listing issues only on the main property and does not take the place of your general insurer. It specifically covers issues that guests are likely to create. I did use them for some time because I was able to pay for cover by the guest night.

I have been using a broker for my insurance for the last  two years and the cover is split across two companies who do co-operate with each other.

Now Yang I have brought this up before and have received a barrage of criticism for stating incorrect information so, I am loath to go mentioning company names and these days I tend to stay away from insurance questions......It is an evolving market and the coverage issues are changing all the time.

Cheers......Rob

Hi @Robin4 

I just double checked, I'm talking about RentCover. LOL

Yes they are definitely changing their policies these years. I recently noticed my current content insurer added some lines after the structural issues of Opal Tower and Mascot Tower were revealed.

What we will not pay for

Water entering your Buildings:

because of a structural defect, faulty design or faulty workmanship when your Buildings were constructed that you knew about (or should reasonably have known about) and did not repair before the loss or damage occurred.

I don't think these lines used to be there. So I'm considering changing insurer and have requested many quotes. However, so far I don't find one fully meet my demands.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joy298 

Oh Yang, I so hope you are not tied up in Opal or Mascot. This is disgraceful! Where were the engineers and council inspectors when this was going on?

I feel so sorry for those people who have been forced to move out of properties they paid a lot of money to move into. A few people want a massive kick in the butt over this!

Unfortunately responsibility never seems to end up where it needs to!

Cheers......Rob