Home-Sharing Per-night-fee Email and How to Verify Registration.

Henry201
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Home-Sharing Per-night-fee Email and How to Verify Registration.

Hello everyone!

I'm a host in Los Angeles California and I have few questions. Please help me out! . I got an email from the City of LA about home sharing. The email is about a fee per night:

"The ordinance requires hosts to pay a per-night fee to offset the cost of implementing, maintaining, and enforcing the Home-Sharing program. On November 10, 2020, the City Council adopted a resolution to set the rate for the per-night fee of $3.10 as defined in Section 12.22-A,32(e)(5) of the Los Angeles Municipal Code. Beginning December 1, 2020, all booked nights in a given month will be subject to the per-night fee that will be in addition to the Home-Sharing registration fee. "

I'm assuming all L A hosts got this email too. First question:  Is this going to apply to the bookings I already had before the ordinance? Second question: Is Airbnb working with the City to change this ordinance? If the City of LA is taking so much money from me I guess I will not be able to host anymore. Third question: I have applied for an extended registration permit (no reply from the city yet), can I register for short term rental while this is in process?

Any help will be appreciated. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you need to stop hosting because of a small $3 a night local city tax then it sounds like your STR business model is not a profitable one. @Henry201 

I would contact your city for the information you are looking for . Hopefully it will be on the city’s website.

Hi Helen3,

Thank you for your reply. Is not only $3.10 per night. On top of that you pay almost 1 thousand dollars to be able to have STR for the year. 

Hi Henry, 

did you pay the fees? i'm also a new host and getting into exact same situation now, while also applying for extended permits.