Host Liabilty Insurance

Host Liabilty Insurance

Hello I was curious in the Host Liability Isurance summary it says, "Host: Host is a person or entity who has completed the Airbnb account registration process, including consenting to the Airbnb Terms of Service and lists their Accommodation on the Airbnb Platform. Host also includes a person providing Host-related services on behalf of the Host, including full or part time domestic staff, family members, and roommates. Anyone otherwise living at the Accommodation is included as an additional insured to the extent of claims brought against the Host. The Host’s landlord, homeowners association or condo-owners association, or any other similar entity of which the Host is a member, is also an insured, but only with respect to liability arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of that part of the Host’s Accommodation, including related common areas, during an Airbnb Stay".

When they say the Host’s lanlord is also an insured does this mean in the case of a rental arbitrage deal, where a liability issue arises where the guest decides to go after the lanlord, that he will be covered to by the insurance too?

1 Reply 1

Hello @Thomas3938 

As a fellow host, while I haven't personally dealt with a situation exactly like this, I can offer some thoughts that might help clarify things. From what I understand of Airbnb's Host Liability Insurance, it seems that the landlord would indeed be covered if a liability issue arose during an Airbnb stay. The key phrase here is "the Host’s landlord... is also an insured," which suggests that in a rental arbitrage situation, the landlord would be protected by the insurance, but only for claims related to the "ownership, maintenance, or use" of the property during an Airbnb booking.

However, it might be worth double-checking a few things:
1. Specific Coverage: Make sure the insurance explicitly covers rental arbitrage scenarios. It’s always good to confirm directly with Airbnb or your insurance provider to see how they interpret this coverage.
2. Landlord Agreement: Ensure your lease or rental agreement doesn’t have clauses that might conflict with short-term rentals. Sometimes, landlords might require additional insurance or have specific conditions.
3. Additional Insurance: It might be beneficial to explore getting a separate liability policy to cover any potential gaps, especially in a rental arbitrage setup where multiple parties are involved.

It could also be useful to hear from others who’ve been in similar situations to see how they handled it. Staying informed and prepared is key in our line of work!