Hosting canoes

Joshua590
Level 1
Mississauga, Canada

Hosting canoes

I am looking to host canoes for people to rent at my cottage and I was wandering how do people do it?

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I leave that to the outfitter in the next town, @Joshua590 . They have the expertise and insurance for it. I maintain a good relationship with them, they are in my guidebook, and I point guests to them. Between us (me and the outfitter), we facilitate getting guests to and from launch and takeout points on the river.

I don't recommend renting or lending your own canoe to guests if you are not an outfitter. Guests tend to overestimate their canoeing skills and the strength of canoes in general. I'm not kidding when I recommend that you hide your canoe. I hide mine.  

@Joshua590 

Agree with @Lawrene0  - one of my long-term guests bought a bike, used it for about 4 months and offered to leave it with us for future guests (or our personal use). We kindly declined because we don't want any sort of responsibility for guest safety related to bike-riding or bike-maintenance, so we suggested he sell it or give to a friend. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Joshua590   Before you rent canoes, check with your insurance company.  Are you going to be covered for any liability if the guest has an accident or causes damage to someone else's property?

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

This is how I deal with it:

Hi John,

Do you have canoes or kayaks for guests to use?

John6:59 PM
Hi (XXXX), no sorry. There is a little creek but the tide drops too fast so too limited. There is a rental place at Folly Beach that has Kayak and SUP trips or rentals for about $30. I've seen some other listing that offer a canoe or kayak but think it would be too much risk for me. Hope that helps!

(XXXX) 7:14 PM
okay, thanks!

John7:23 PM
You bet! Feel free to make a reservation if you want.
Jan 29, 2021
Message from Airbnb Service󱜄
Booking confirmed · 2 guests, Apr 10 - Apr 12
5:43 PM

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Joshua590   Thanks for posting this, Joshua.  I was thinking of having canoes in a future project but after reading this post, I think I'll leave canoes and bicycles to the experts and just advise my guests where to go.