Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Lake Lure Airbnb impacted by Helene

Kathleen1142
Level 1
Asheville, NC

Lake Lure Airbnb impacted by Helene

Good morning.  I am living in Asheville, NC and have an Airbnb in Lake Lure, NC.  Specifically, I am asking if there are proven ways to get Airbnb or other loss of revenue grants, loans, etc. for loss of revenue for the foreseeable future?  I predict that we will be affected by this until late Spring of '25.  Any and all thoughts & ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kathleen1142 

Normally you would make a claim on your home insurance for short term let's if you have loss of income insurance for your business .

Airbnb as a marketing platform doesn't normally provide business owners with grants in these situations .

You can also see if there are local business recovery grants you would be eligible to apply for 

@Kathleen1142 

First, let me say I am so sorry about the losses experienced in your area; especially the loss of loved ones for some. Devastating.

@Helen3 has some great suggestions. Unfortunately, Aircover does not cover loss of revenue due to natural disasters. It only covers loss of revenue if a guest damages your place and you have to cancel bookings in order to complete repairs. If you had a short term rental insurance policy separate from Aircover, many of them offer loss of income (cancelled bookings), but not all. You would have to contact your insurer to find out the details. Even if your property sustained minimal damage, most guests will end up cancelling due to all the infrastructure damage in the area. 

I always recommend new Hosts purchase their own short term rental insurance to cover situations such as what occurred with Helene. Many new Hosts are not aware that Aircover (Host damage protection) doesn't cover natural disasters. STR insurance is more expensive than typical homeowners insurance and some Hosts don't purchase it because of this. This is a risky idea; especially in these times of climate change. Additionally, many Hosts are not aware that typical homeowners insurance doesn't provide coverage if you operate a commecial activity (Airbnb). Even if your property sustained minimal damage, many guests will end up cancelling due to all the infrastructure damage in the area. 

Also, if you have a home share situation on Airbnb (renting a room, basement suite, separate ADU on your property), your typical homeowner's insurance won't cover this and you need a separate STR policy or rider to cover this. If you don't have this and they find out about it, your coverage can be cancelled and any claims denied.

Please let us know how it goes...keeping you and all affected in mind and wishing you the best going forward.