Long Beach City Inspections

Nitya7
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Long Beach City Inspections

Hello!  A friend has a property in Long Beach, CA and has heard recently that the city is visiting a nearby Airbnb property for some sort of inspection....?  Has anyone had any experience with this?  I'm wondering what the inspections are for and how common they are?  I do not live or operate in Long Beach so I have no experience with this with my own property.  I think perhaps there are concerns about a wing or ADU that may have been added to the house but is not permitted.  Would love to hear thoughts and if anyone in Long Beach has had this occur?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

@Nitya7 

I've no idea of the purpose of this, if indeed it is more than a rumor. Various government entities and agencies can inspect for health and safety, building permits/inspections, zoning, impact on a neighborhood, adequate parking, fire safety, etc. A complaint could trigger an inspection, or a routine date on a calendar. Personally, I think it a good idea. When we were initially permitted by the local government, all the agencies did their due diligence and signed off on our home and property being appropriate, before the public hearings. Our insurance company asked if we had passed all the inspections and has copies of all our permits. Like all responsible businesses serving the public we are subject to being properly permitted and to periodic inspections.This may be different in different locations, we are also in California. 

HI Nitya7, 

I recently tried to renew my permit and was told that they have to do an inspection before they issue a renewal. Have you heard anything about the inspection process?  

Thanks

@Therese-and-Chester0 @Nitya7 

We are in an important front line position for public health and safety as well as maintaining relationships with neighbors and community. Inspections are important, and we can learn from the ordinances how to do better what we do. Imho many hosts do not take seriously the extent of our responsibilities and so if we can learn how to best be accountable, it is great prevention of any sort of issues. Our STR insurance carrier is thrilled that we are periodically inspected for quality and adherence to standards. Our guests are safer and so are we. 

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

I welcome any and all inspections.  In all jurisdictions.  Good for Long Beach.  Bring 'em on!  Let's legitimize these businesses! 

However, as soon as this happens on a massive scale (at least in the US), sadly for Airbnb, the OMG category will see a huge reduction in inventory.  

A rickety "treehouse" whose plumbing is fed by a garden hose, a "UFO" made out of particle board and staples, or a "giant potato" made out of glorified paper mâché are not safe dwellings built to code.  

Somebody is going to die (or more expensively, get paralyzed) in one of these things and the STR economy as a whole is going to suffer while the legacy hotel industry laughs at us.  

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

The unfortunate part is no matter how legitimate you think Airbnb is as a business and deserves to be protected, and I agree. Too many others in the community, and even members of city council do not. I really wish Airbnb would spend more to advocate for its own business with the local communities that have issues with STRs.  All these communities do need inspections of the airbnb properties. I previously owned one in Palm Springs but the city did not want or support us. So they took every opportunity to gouge homeowners. An inspection is a multi part expensive process meant to drive us out of STRs. It sucks and again, its a place where Airbnb should be stepping up for support.

Mike2786
Level 1
Long Beach, CA

I was inspected. Turned out ok. They are look up your building permits and check your site to see if you are following guidelines. Took photos of my entire place. Took a month or longer to get back to me. 

@Mike2786 

Excellent! When we applied for our permit, we were inspected by all the agencies, including fire, health, safety, roads, and permits on our house, septic, etc. We did a public hearing, and it took 5 months to be declared legal. Our passing inspections and having that certificate/permit protects us as well as the public/guests and the neighbors. The rules and regulations protect us all  - including for fire safety and evacuation needs should it be necessary. We are required to have a business insurance policy as well. This protects us, our property, our neighborhood and our guests.