National Insurance number

Carmen802
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

National Insurance number

Hiya community,

I have recently been asked for my national insurance number from airbnb. I asked what this is for as they are not my employer; they have been unable to tell me to date. Can anyone shed some light on the matter please? I imagine, if I do not give it, I will not get bookings but I feel they shouldn't least explain what they are going to do with my number.

7 Replies 7

Hi Carmen, yes I saw this message too and felt slightly uneasy about sharing this information with no clear explanation, however, after looking at the notes it does say you may be removed from airbnb and not receive any bookings if you fail to share the information.

In the UK, we have the Rent a Room scheme (you may already know this) which currently allows you to earn up to £7,500 tax free if you let a furnished room in your house (it only applies to rooms, which are part of your home). I am currently operating under this as I do not intend to earn more than that from my letting in this current tax year. If you go over this threshold you must declare it and do a self-assessment (tax return).  I understand that Airbnb is allowing many people to earn additional income to their normal everyday jobs and I suspect that governments worldwide now want to be sure that all due taxes are being paid and one way for them to do this is collect data through Airbnb rather than relying on individuals to regulate themselves. I am going to speak directly to the support team and then will share the required information with them. I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your question but sharing thoughts can sometimes be helpful. All the best.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julie6183 @Carmen802 Airbnb is required to send income information to HMRC each year. There is no problem with this at all as long as you are properly declaring your income to HMRC. There are things to watch though as I believe there will be timing issues as to what income falls in what year and also Airbnb will probably declare the gross income (including guest fees and cancelled reservations) and you may have to then increase the expenses deduction accordingly. 

Oz15
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

I always understood it to be that if you didn't need to declare your Rent a Room income as it was under the threshold, then you would just carry on as normal and not need to inform HMRC of anything.  I thought only let them know if you had earnings that tax needed to be paid on. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Oz15 You are correct - Just because Airbnb sends data to HMRC it doesn't mean they will do anything with it. What I don't know is how HMRC (and you) should deal with the Airbnb commission. Its easy for us because we just add it to the amount we receive and deduct it again as a cost. Obviously doesnt work for rent a room scheme as you can't deduct costs!

You have been very helpful.  I spoke to the support team and they did not know how NI was going to be used. 

I am contacting the Tax office myself as I need clarity as Airbnb r not my employers hence my concern re giving my NI over.

If u can get a clearer explanation from them, pls let me know.

Thank you

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Carmen802 You also give your NI number to banks so they can deal with money laundering checks  and tax etc. They are not your employer either so the employer statement is a red herring.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Carmen802 its to comply with new UK legislation that says digital companies need to share this information with the HMRC