New Guest to AirBnB

Rashelle4
Level 2
Bella Vista, AR

New Guest to AirBnB

Hi I am new to hosting. We have had three stays… One had great reviews and has used Airbnb before… The other two were new to Airbnb… It was their first stay. they were both VERY MESSY. Do you send new people a different message, letting them know expectations and that I as a host will also be writing them as a guest a review. I know not all new people are messy but I haven’t had great experiences, just wanting to set better expectations… Didn’t know if anyone else has had this issue or what to do? Thank you!!

3 Replies 3
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Rashelle4  sometimes i ask newbies if they need any extra help, i don't really give them any extra info on top of the messages i usually send. I send auto messages and there's no way to set it up to send newbies a different message anyway. 
They'll soon learn the hard way how the review system works, but also, as newbies they won't understand that a 4• review is not good (i have a page about reviews in my guest manual). if you are going to mark them down i'd wait until the last hour to post your review, so they won't be prompted to do one (unless you're confident they'll leave you a glowing review). 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Rashelle4 Try and make it easy and obvious for them . Make sure that you have lots of bins in the bedrooms , the kitchen and the bathroom as well as outside. Ask them to try and recycle . Have a glass only basket . Make sure that you have heaps of sponges and dishwashing tabs and liquids. brooms ., cleaning products, but hide the bleach. Mops and buckets a vacumn cleaner , a working hose, disinfectant and everything to help them and to set a subliminal suggestion , most people will go onto automatic and if they are still messy then look for another reason , like extra guests , partying or not having read your household rules or one night stays or only 'weekend people' all the best H

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Rashelle4 a few things might help:

1. Set filters to accept only guests with host recommendation if you do Instant Book. Other guests will have to inquire and you can feel out if they are a fit.

2. Raise prices. You have 7 people allowed at $162 a night. The price per person is about $23. You won't get respectful guests at that price point. Take the single beds out of the room and put in a regular queen or pair of bunk beds for kids. Lower your guest count to 6 and raise your prices to at least $175 nightly or more. DO NOT listen to ABB suggestions. Price per night and guest quality are correlated. 

3. Make check out instructions clear. Things like "wipe down counters" or where the trash goes. Don't go overboard with a 30 point list but do let guests know what is expected. I sent mine with my check out email and had a copy in the physical guest guide on a coffee table. 

Best of luck!