Please tell me how to get hold of someone at Airbnb authorised to sort a faulty chargeback on my account.

Emma582
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Please tell me how to get hold of someone at Airbnb authorised to sort a faulty chargeback on my account.

I am reaching out now to community centre as I have about 12 threads with Airbnb online trying to resolve a problem whereby Airbnb cancelled one of my bookings 6 weeks after the guest checked in (for a 9 week stay). The guest had paid the first month and no more so the entire booking was cancelled and the guest left (me 2 weeks out of pocket but hey ho).  However when Airbnb cancelled the booking they incorrectly took back the £3,178 the guest had paid for the first month.  Now they are withholding payment from my future guests until they make up this money.  Problem is the £3,178 was paid for a stay where the guest stayed.  It should not have been collected back.  I can not get anyone at Airbnb to authorise this to be corrected so up till last week had had  5 guests stay for 'free', or 'on me'.     This is because although the guests were paying Airbnb they in turn weren't releasing it to me. I can't go on hosting for free so I have unlisted my 4 properties to stop anyone booking with me and am currently asking guests to go elsewhere and cancelling them as I can't host them until this is resolved.  My question.  How on EARTH do you get to speak to anyone at Airbnb who can authorise this correction on my account.  I have a thread where they say they will do this but it was over a week ago. Nothing has happened.  My conversations get closed and I can't speak to a manager high enough up to authorise this.  Airbnb won't let me..... I do not know what to do.  I have been a Superhost since 2014 and 3rd generation of my family in the business of letting our farm properties.  I know what I am doing !  I am not new to this business. Thanks for any advice anyone. Emma 

16 Replies 16
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emma582 if someone like @Quincy can't persuade someone in Airbnb to look at this sensibly then I suggest you make a small claims court claim against Airbnb. It is all online and easy and the chances of Airbnb actually defending the claim is slim.

Hello Mike and Jane, thank you for taking time and for answering, I never thought of small claims, it is just such a hassle isn't it.  But guess that's what I have to do.....  Do I now forward my message to @Quincy to see if he can help first ?   Thanksagain Emma

@Emma582 don't worry. @Quincy will reply soon. The moderators are way more efficient than Airbnb!

Sorry to be stupid, but what is a moderator.  Is it someone employed by Airbnb ?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 for the tag 👍

Hi there @Emma582, I just saw your private message too. I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening. Let me pass this on to the team so that they can chase this up for you. I will try to share any updates here whenever more information becomes available.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Emma582
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Quincy

That would be very kind.  Today I had to cancel 3 more guests arriving today tomorrow and at the weekend and now I am also being penalised US100 for each cancellation.

If you need any other information from me, hopefully you can access the string on Jim booking, please call me ** or if the signal is bad text me and I will reply that way.  I am up in the far North Scottish Highlands this weekend so it might be dodgy.  But I am very excited to think I have now found someone who can help.  Many thanks. I SO appreciate this. Emma

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emma582! I just received a reply back from the team. They mentioned that someone will get in touch with you soon. I've also informed them about your connection being a bit dodgy, so that they'll keep that in mind once they try to contact you. 

-----

Emma582
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Quincy,   It is now 2 August and I have heard nothing.  I have in the meantime cancelled 4 more guests and am about to cancel another 3 that think they are arriving end of the week.   its hideous cancelling peoples holidays this close to the day they arrive. How can we get Airbnb to fix this admin error NOW ?  Thanks. Emma

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Emma582, let me give the team a nudge and see what they come back with. 

-----

Emma582
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Quincy,  

It is now 10 August and still I have heard nothing. I now have a number of US$100 fines on my account as well due to having to cancel guests.  I have never cancelled guests in the last 30 years of hosting on any website, it is quite horrendous, upsetting and the situation is getting out of control.  

NOBODY at Airbnb will answer a query, resolve this on the phone or attend to me.

I have opened a small claims with my local Sheriff Court but it won't be heard until end September, so that is my entire season of guests cancelled.

For something so simple to resolve, and the amount gets bigger by the day.

Please please can you look at this again and get them to hand over my payments ! 

Thanks Emma

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emma582, I've notified them again of this. I'm once again very sorry that this is happening. Please note that I am not from customer service, so I would recommend continuing trying to contact them as well either over the phone or via chat. 

-----

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Emma582  Did you try contacting airbbnb help on twitter?  I have not done this but some hosts say they get a faster response.  

Emma582
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

I am not on twitter, but willing to try to log up to it if you think it will work.  Nothing seems to elicit any response at all from Airbnb and the only department that is efficient there is their billing, fining, penalty department right now. sigh....

Emma582
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

This is now solved.    I had to go to the Small Claims Court in order to get anywhere with Airbnb.    They  gave me my money due, plus paid the court fees.     I didn't bother with claiming compensation for the lost summer month in 4 properties although I was advised that I would be due a considerable sum for this.

I had had enough