Policy Violation and Need for Improved Support

Sherif53
Level 2
Cairo, Egypt

Policy Violation and Need for Improved Support

I'm a frequent Airbnb user who recently encountered a serious problem that reflects the need for improved customer support in specific scenarios. Here's the situation:

• Host's Policy Breach: After booking a reservation, the host messaged me on WhatsApp, demanding personal documents outside the Airbnb platform. This violates your communication policies and made me uncomfortable.
  • Forced Cancellation: I had to cancel the reservation, impacting my travel plans.
  • Support Didn't Solve the Problem: While I received a refund, its processing time prevents me from urgently securing a replacement. No alternative assistance (credit, etc.) was offered.

Key Concerns:

• Guest Experience: This situation negatively impacts the guest experience when hosts violate Airbnb's core policies.
  • Support Limitations: Standard refunds don't always provide a timely solution to urgent problems created by host misconduct.

Recommendations:

• Faster Relief for Policy Violations: Consider expedited refunds or booking credits when guests are inconvenienced due to a host's clear policy breach.
  • Stronger Policy Enforcement: Hosts need to understand the consequences of violating Airbnb's rules for both themselves and guests.
  • Empower Support Agents: Provide agents with flexibility to offer more proactive solutions in cases like mine.

I hope this feedback assists your efforts to ensure exceptional guest experiences on Airbnb.

5 Replies 5
Jackie237
Level 4
Hastings, United Kingdom

Once a booking has been confirmed, the host then has the guests phone number, given to them by AIrbnb, so they can contact them outside of the platform. I often contact guests by text or even call them if there is an emergency or if I want to let them know I've saved a parking space for them and they should call when outside the house so I can move my car. I do believe it's the same for the guest but I may be wrong.

The policy break is if either the host or guest try to exchange phone numbers before the booking is confirmed. 

Sounds like your booking was already confirmed so the host would have been given your number by Airbnb. Why would they give out phone numbers if you're not supposed to contact each other??

Hi Jackie - Thanks for the explanation.

I have no problem with the host contacting me outside the platform. My problem is that the host (after confirming the booking) requested that I send him personal documents (National ID, Marriage Certificate) over whatsapp prior to arrival, even though there's nothing on the listing that says anything about this. My reaction was that I can accommodate to provide him the info upon arrival, and he refused.

So, The core issue isn't the host contacting me after booking, it's the demanding of additional documentation. This is where the policy breach lies.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sherif53 

You are absolutely allowed to contact the guest or host through the contact number they provide once a booking is made so your mistaken I'm afraid. 

what personal documents were they requesting ?

in some countries collecting photo ID from guests is a legal requirement . 

@Helen3  - You are also absolutely correct that in some countries collecting photo ID from guests is a legal requirement, however:

1. I informed him that I am happy to provide hard copies of these documents before checking into the property as I am not comfortable sharing them over whatsapp. The host still refused.

2. Any required documents must be mentioned on the listing. Which was not the case.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually any required ID documentation which are country requirements are the responsibility of the visitor to that country to check and provide @Sherif53 

But I agree it would be good practice if hosts mention that guests need to provide .