Portland, OR Tax Overpayment

Rosemary378
Level 1
Portland, OR

Portland, OR Tax Overpayment

I host in Portland, OR and have recently looked at the TID form used to assess taxes owed on short term rentals. I know that ABB remits the taxes on our behalf but noticed that the amount remitted by ABB is consistently more than the total on the form. I wonder if anyone else has explored this and then tried to get a refund for overpayment of taxes?

4 Replies 4
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Rosemary378 , thanks for sharing your question with the Community! While we wait for guidance from other Hosts, have you also reached out to Airbnb Customer Support to find more advice? What did they say? 

I am also reaching out to Hosts from Portland, if they have more specific information about taxes in the region : @Sorcha3 @Bill-And-Carole1  @Raja293 @Bethany264 @Cynthia1404  @Alexandra85 @Bryn13 @Bubby0 @Nebiat0 

I am also sharing this article in case it helps with any brief information , by chance: 

👉 Regulations in Portland 

👉 Occupancy tax collection and remittance by Airbnb in Oregon 

Please keep us posted!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi….. We LIVE in Portland but our airbnbs are in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico….. where the tax and permits can be confusing. If anyone wants info on the tax or permit 

Requirements in Mexico…. We can help with that. 

Ah! I see 👀  ! Thanks so much @Bill-And-Carole1 for chiming in to support though! 🌻 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

As a result of a guest, who instant booked a long-term stay  and Airbnb booked when I require reviews w one being 5 star. The guest did not have one review. I did not check until I began to have trouble with this person. Sometime after day 30 of stay, guest went to Portland, OR tenants assn,./union and informed me guest was now a tenant and demanded I pay guest the one month relocation fee when guest checked out! So, host had to manage Airbnb guest policies, and Portland, Oregon Landlord Tenant Law at the same time. Guest did not have to follow any of the City's ORLATA rules and skirted Airbnb rules. Guest had extensive guest of guest visits sneaking overnight. Guest denied everything, did whatever guest pleased, vaped inside and outside when vaping is forbidden at my property - i could og on - Test for vaping was positive and test for illicit drugs also positive. Guest vandalized my property and I believe was attempting to squat. Guest had package delivered to my front porch and mail to my mailbox without my permission - I told guest not to have their mail sent here. Who knows what is in a package and guest can take letter with address and postmark to a judge to prove residency at the address on envelope! Guest told Airbnb I would not allow guest to get mail and packages here. Airbnb credited guest nearly $2000 saying the Airbnb allows guest to have packages and mail delivered to host address as policy unless host specifically states no mail for guest to be delivered to host address. I have not seen that policy or I would have stated no mail packages can be delivered without specific permission of host. No wonder there are so many Airbnb squatters. Airbnb took the word throughout the guest's stay of a guest who did not have one single review over a Super Host with numerous five star reviews over 10 years! Guest also made privacy report, Airbnb suspended host for five days! there has never been a privacy complaint. Host has security cameras to watch the front gate, exterior walkways, driveway, street - all described on host Airbnb listing. Airbnb determined that there was not a privacy issue. other super hosts have had the same experience. Guests learned how to get financial benefits f Airbnb for specific complaints whether true or not! Guest and trespasser friend then left early packing up all belongings, dumping bags and boxes of recycling, garbage, etc. when host gave 48 hr. notice of maintenance and cleaning inspection with host's maintenance person - What was it that guest did  not want host and maintenance person to see? Guest left a horrible mess, vandalized, and vape residue found on walls - I remain dealing with resolutions and AirCover to compensate me for vape clean up, putting place back together, loss of revenue /cannot be occupied - Airbnb says they will not change decision to refund guest -This is NOT the Airbnb I have experienced for the last decade - Anyone else finding a changed landscape at Airbnb? I am chagrined to say the least - this guest bullied and traumatized me for months and Airbnb took guest w no reviews over superhost - We will see what happens with the appeals to Resolutions and AirCover. Guests now must be 21 yrs. and must have reviews and no long term stays - police said to limit stays to two weeks only and no renewals. The police are well aware of the problems with STRs that have escalated in recent years!