Qlders look out - The Palaszczuk Government is commissioning industry experts to investigate impacts the short-term rental market is having on the state’s housing supply.

Qlders look out - The Palaszczuk Government is commissioning industry experts to investigate impacts the short-term rental market is having on the state’s housing supply.

Hi all  - is anyone doing anything about the latest push to put additional tases and charges on Air b and b operators in an attempt to solve the housing crisis in Queensland (and all of Australia I'm guessing)? 

There is so much that is wrong about this move;

1.  Its the States responsibility to provide public housing and the shortage is affecting those people that would be eligible for public housing, and not those that can afford to holiday and have a luxurious house. 

2. Most people who operate Air B and B rely upon it for their weekly income and without this will need to look for employment/government assistance

3. If the fees/tases were to be higher then people like me would have to sell. Ive had a really bad experience with the last rental tenant and it took 2 years through VCAT to remove the person from the house, there was no rent in this period and the house was wrecked. I sold that property the experience was so bad and it wasnt suitable for Air B and B. 

4. It will affect tourism numbers and dollars to support the community, Cairns is a town that relies upon tourism

5. I've already paid the high rate of stamp duty and declared this as an investment property, surely its my right to make money from this property the way I choose to. 

6. This property is mainly for my family to come and stay for free as they all live in different states, and I want my children to have connections with family and they support me during times of need. Apparently, the State Government are also looking to put laws that dictate that the property is not to remain untenanted or empty. 

I'm sure that there are many other drawbacks that effect everyday hard-working people who are trying to self-sustain through Air B and B. 

You thoughts and discussion are welcome. I don't feel like I'm in the person to lead the protest but would like to see Air B and B or someone take charge of this. 

Thanks

Astrid

2 Replies 2
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Astrid388  I currently live in Qld but my abb is in SA, so this won't affect me directly, until that Labor govt realises there are more taxes they are missing out on....  Is there a way you can get yourself onto such a committee? surely they need local representation in addition to the "experts".

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unless you want to pay substantially more in your taxes there will never be enough money for the state to provide social housing for all that need housing.

The issue is that STRs take LTRs off the market in many cases. Not all Airbnbs are 'luxury rentals'.

It's important that local government regulates STRs in over saturated markets.

I would suggest you get together with other hosts in your area to lobby for regulations that would work for hosts in your area @Astrid388