Renting to 18 year olds

Renting to 18 year olds

Hi, How do you guys rent to 18 year olds? Do you require a cosigner? Do you require a chaperone who is 25+ years old? What do you guys do? 

3 Replies 3
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Sheresse0 

Welcome to the community!😊

**content copied from other user without consent

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

What a lovely appreciation of our youth @Dale711 .

@Sheresse0 I would be concerned about the risk of a party if its an empty house that you're offering. Is that your concern? Its legitimate and I'm not sure of the solution.

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

G'day, @Sheresse0!

Is age the issue here, or is bad behaviour? Or just plain disrespect of your rules and untidiness on departure?

I haven't been hosting for all that long, but in that time, I've had a mix of people leave our place in good and less tidy condition. Nobody has behaved badly, though I expect that's a function on the cottages we host.

I've had older (retiree) guests who have not read our House Rules, left the place untidy, and made what should be a 60-minute turnover into a 2 hour effort for three people.

On the other hand, the best guest I've had was a 19-year-old on her gap year travelling with two dogs. She contacted us on a week of torrential rain, noted she was wanting to avoid camping in the rain, advised her age and lack of funds, and asked whether we'd negotiate in return for her cleaning the cottage at the end of her stay and doing any farm work needed. We discounted (our daughter is about the same age, and we did what we'd want others to do for her in the same situation), and she cleaned up. That cleanup was so good we had nothing to do in the cottage except replace tea, coffee, etc.

I rely on reviews more than anything, and in the absence of reviews, hope for the best.

18 is an adult. We should be able to place adult expectations on people.