Restrictive anti-Airbnb-host bylaws in Ontario municipalities

Ron5541
Level 1
Kingston, Canada

Restrictive anti-Airbnb-host bylaws in Ontario municipalities

Kingston hosts have joined together in a campaign to collectively oppose a restrictive bylaw which would have been disastrous to many of us.  The proposed bylaw was largely cast in stone by  the time we first learned about it last August.  Had we not quickly gotten our act together and taken every opportunity to take our detailed critique of both the process and the detailed restriction in the City staff-written bylaw proposal to every City Councillor, it would have been adopted in December and would already have been in force.  As it was, we managed to get it deferred to February and, while we're not out of the woods yet, we're hopeful that there are no longer the votes needed to pass some of the more restrictive measures.  To add insult to injury, the bylaw proposal included authorizing a contract with a US firm to circumvent Airbnb's privacy protections which we all rely upon.  

Hosts in other municipalities, most recently Gananoque, weren't so fortunate, in some cases finding out about the bylaw only after it was passed.  The hotel lobby appears to be the common factor behind many if not all of these bylaws.  If your municipality doesn't already have a restrictive bylaw in place, I would strongly recommend that you and other hosts speak with your respective municipal councillors and get them to agree to give you an immediate heads-up if and when they learn of such a bylaw being worked upon in your community.  Staring a hosts' group now to protect your collective interests when the time comes would also be worth your while (ours is now up to 99 hosts, which makes a big difference when speaking to Council).  We also have lots of written arguments which we would be willing to share and which could help get you off to a good start.

4 Replies 4
Cheryn-and-Mark0
Level 1
Ontario, Canada

Thanks so much for posting this Ron! I heard about your success in Kingston and as we're facing a somewhat similar situation in Tay Township on Georgian Bay, this is exactly what I'm looking for! In our case (probably like others) one seasonal cottage resident who has a "bad-apple" STR next door, started a petition and tried to quietly and quickly push bylaw changes through our council. Having experience working in a municipality, I knew I needed to act quickly.

I and others managed to at least press pause on the process and have public consultations/surveys conducted, however, I'm not totally confident this will go our way. Most residents seem to favour regulations similar to Collingwood, which will kill us. It requires all STR's under a 30-day stay to qualify as a bed and breakfast! We all know as hosts this won't work and it's also not what travellers want! 

I'm hoping you can help me with the lessons from your experience and any reports you provided to your council that might help us. 

Cheryn

Cheryn and Mark
SandyAndGreg0
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

How did you start your hosts group?  How did you find out who else is hosting in your community?  Does AirBnB have any resources to assist in making sure the hotel lobby doesn't get their desired bylaw regulating AirBnB's passed?

We are hosts in Sechelt BC Canada.  It does seem from discussions that their in a lot of 'behind the scene' influence by the hotels here at the moment and an official bylaw review has commenced..

Katherine782
Level 1
Hamilton, Canada

Hi Ron,

I am going through this same issue right now in Brant County - would appreciate the arguments/data you used to get the counselors on your side with this.

Vera853
Level 1
West Nipissing, Canada

Thank you, Ron, for sharing this.  Our council in West Nipissing has just passed a very restrictive and costly bylaw which will cause undue hardship to many hosts - some may have to sell their homes or cottages. Getting a license will be nearly impossible and quite unaffordable.  I would be very interested in reading the arguments you used, because that could help us to put pressure our councilors to amend the bylaw.

Thanks!

Vera