Short-Term Rental Insurance: Are we allowed to name companies we use (in the Us here)? Recommendations?

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Short-Term Rental Insurance: Are we allowed to name companies we use (in the Us here)? Recommendations?

Hi, 

I need to add short-term rental insurance to cover our home/AirBnb. We live attached, but separate, from the AirBnb main portion of the house. 

Can people suggest companies they use, in the US, for me, please?

We got one quote that seemed astronomical to us. That was from a company called Proper. 

Help! 

7 Replies 7
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Linda3345 

USAA provides STR insurance at no additional charge as long as you do not allow children under 12 years of age.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Brian2036,

You didn't mention that qualification for USAA is primarily military active duty, reservists, veterans, retirees, and their dependents (even if they are now adults).  Also, the STR coverage is not provided in every state and territory.

@Linda3345,

For those who have USAA home owner's insurance, they may be able to include the Shared Income coverage on their policy, and there is not additional cost.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

Hi Brian, 

I'm not military, and a big portion of my guests thus far, and one I wish to encourage, are families with young children. 

But that might be helpful for someone else who needs this. 

USAA also partners with another company (name I forget, American something-rather) that covers states where USAA does not offer insurance and also does not stipulate no children. We use them.

Amy B
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Linda3345 another option is Foremost. It is generally less expensive (and less comprehensive) than Proper.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Foremost for sure except where they don’t (!). I heard State Farm does. I just switched to USAA and they only asked how many days a year the house would be rented. What this all means is that insurance companies cover geographic areas they feel are less risky. Ask them all!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

My insurance broker found me the right insurance at Merrimack Mutual, @Linda3345. Not sure if their coverage is limited to New England or not (my Airbnb is in Maine).