Sign to turn off AC/heat/lights?

Teresa1505
Level 2
Prescott, AZ

Sign to turn off AC/heat/lights?

Hello everyone! I was wondering if other hosts put a sign by the exit reminding guests to turn off lights and heat when they leave. Since I started hosting my electricity bill has gone up considerably, and I think this would be a way to help reduce costs. I have stayed in an airbnb with signs/instructions on everything and I found it a bit intrusive. I want to make sure my guests feel comfortable and at home. I was looking to get a sign similar to this: https://www.etsy.com/in-en/listing/746720351/please-turn-off-lights-and-air-con-and.  I'm curious of your thoughts on this. Thanks for all your help!

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While a sign might remind a guest to turn off various lights, in general they are not effective.  People tend not to read signs or just to disregard the signs.  It is better to have timers where you can install for lights and heaters and air conditioners.  Check into that and you should find it helps.  Also, if your electricity bill is increased during your booking season, calculate what rate increase you would need to make to balance the increased use.  

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Teresa1505   We installed Nest thermostats in our properties; we can use the app on our phones to turn down the heat or air conditioning.  This has saved us quite a bit of aggravation, and we can schedule the heat or air to turn off at the time of the guest departure as well as turn it on for a guest arrival.  I don't know what to do about lights left on other than to install LED everywhere.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Teresa1505 Although Linda indicates it doesn't work for her, I think it's worth a try, can't hurt. I know what you mean about when people have notes all over the house, that's rather tacky, but even hotels have signs on the inside of the front door reminding guests of check-out times and even to please turn off lights to conserve energy.