Taxes - Canadian owning a USA Airbnb

Answered!

Taxes - Canadian owning a USA Airbnb

Hello. New to Airbnb. I have a question. Hopefully someone can help. I'm Canadian and I own a US based Airbnb. When adding my listing, I have to add tax info. So, I tried to use the W-8BEN. But it wont work. My other option is the Canadian way and getting HST and GST number. Any fellow Canadians able to give advice? Best route to take? Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Derek542 Welcome to our Community 😊

I thought Karen3152, one of our lovely hosts from the US who also hosts outside the country, could provide some valuable insights on how to manage this situation.

I hope this is helpful. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Derek542 Welcome to our Community 😊

I thought Karen3152, one of our lovely hosts from the US who also hosts outside the country, could provide some valuable insights on how to manage this situation.

I hope this is helpful. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

I'm looking for the same information.  I'm pretty sure we have to do W8eci as I was going to rent out my place and the research said I had to fill that one out.

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Do you need help with adding your taxpayer information?

Yes. It appears that the W8ECI is the proper form. Looks like you need an ITIN. The IRS webpage provides info. I've already contacted a CPA wo's registered with the IRS in Canada that can help. The IRS webpage has a link with the registered people that can help get the ITIN in Canada. 

I think need to file 1040-NR as well. and some other schedule. did you get your ITNT number?  we mailed our copy of the passport issued by passport office, but got refused