Taxes on Co-host payout in India

Deep730
Level 2
New Delhi, India

Taxes on Co-host payout in India

Hello Everyone!

I am a listing owner on Airbnb and have arranged to give 50% of the total payout to my co-host. However, Airbnb says that I will need to pay taxes on the entire booking amount. For instance, if I receive a booking of 1,000 Rupees and my co-host gets 500 Rupees (50% of the payout), I will still need to file income tax returns on the full 1,000 Rupees.  My co-host will also have to file income tax returns on his 500 Rupees share. 

Is this correct? If so, we both would be filing income tax returns on a combined total of 1,500 Rupees, even though the total payout is only 1,000 Rupees. I'm confused about this, so please help

16 Replies 16
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Deep730 , Have you managed to find more information about Taxes on Co-host payouts in India? There's an Airbnb article that provides a brief overview of 👉 Co-Host taxes and payouts👈

There's also another article that talks about 👉 Why are taxes being withheld from my payouts for listings in India? 👈 

Have you also reached out to the Customer Support team about it?

I'm also reaching out to a few Hosts from India if they can kindly help us with your question related to taxes 👀 :  @Shiv211 @Vishnu40 @Sangeeta8 @Snehal1 .

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello, You are based in Canada and CoHost for bnb in India ?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Snehal1 , thanks for your kind question! Haha, I wanted to clarify that I am a Community Manager for this Airbnb forum (and not a Co-host. Though I believe it would be a exciting adventure to pursue 😆 )

On a side note, I noticed that you're from Vadodara. I am a Gujarati too and from Ahmedabad. I shifted to Toronto some time ago 😉 

-----

Great Bhumika.  Kem Cho ?   Have you been to Statue of Unity?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hu Maja ma! Tme kem cho? I've not visited the Statue of Unity yet @Snehal1 , however, I wish to when I visit back home (next time may be!)

-----

Also Plan to stay at my bnb 

Snehal1
Level 2
Vadodara, India

@Deep730 Is there a Way of Showing - Commission given from Personal income ?  I will like to know 

@Snehal1 In my earning reports, it shows - Booking amount paid out to Host (me). Then let's say as per my routing of payouts, my cohost receives 50% of the total booking amount.

For Example :

Amount paid by Guest - 1000 bucks

I have received 500 bucks

My cohost received 500 bucks.

So will I be paying taxes for 1000 bucks or 500 ?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Deep730 , Have you also tried reaching Airbnb Customer Support team about it? What did they say?

-----

I did actually, however not getting the cleared anwers that's why decided to check here 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

I see @Deep730 ! In our global community, while we wait for more Hosts to support with the question, it could probably be a good idea to also reach out to Hosts through Airbnb's Local Host Clubs , where you can get in touch with Hosts from Delhi. I found the local club near you here Delhi Airbnb Host Community.

Do keep us posted if you find more information there. It will help many Hosts here in our Community 😊

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Deep730 , did you get more information in the Host Club I had shared above? Had you asked the question there?

-----

TDS is Deducted on which amount?

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Deep730 You should pay taxes on your profit only. Paying your co-host is a business expense to you, and would reduce your profit. 

Gross profit minus expenses (payout to co-host) = Net profit. That's what you should be paying taxes on. 

That's how it should work in almost any country.