Tips and tricks to encourage more people to book during peak season

Answered!
Callum73
Level 2
Ryde, United Kingdom

Tips and tricks to encourage more people to book during peak season

Hi everyone, 

Callum here... again! 👋

I hope you are all having a busy summer season in the UK.

I wanted to ask fellow hosts about their experiences so far this summer. For context, I rent out a spare room in my bungalow on the sometimes 'sunny' Isle of Wight. There is a shared bathroom, lounge and kitchen. 

When I started AirBnb last year, I was averaging a room for between £35 - £43 per night (after fees) for two people using dynamic pricing. I was back to back (June to August). This year, with my prices increasing and a more experienced host, I wanted to make £50 per night (after fees). I don't see this as a dramatic increase from the year previous however I have struggled to rent out the room overall - if it isn't a weekend (Friday to Monday). I have also set a minimum two night stay whereas last year there was no minimum amount. 

On average, people seem to be staying for less time, with most staying for between two and three nights. I have still made about £550 in July and on track for the same in August (with still quite a few unbooked nights) remaining. I wanted to ask other host what your experience in the UK has been so far this summer for a similar type room? People do book last minute with me while other do book more in advance. 

- I have allowed one night stays during midweek only (Tues - Thurs) - this has increased views to my profile 

- When using AirBnbs pricing tool for unbooked nights, I am still cheaper (per night) by around £7 - £8 out of those in the area that remain unbooked 

That's about it.  Any insight or advice would be welcome. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Callum73 I can only give our experience with our apartments. We are just about matching last years revenues but we are having to allow a 3 night min stay even in July/August and we haven't increased the nightly rate at all. As such our costs are higher and profits down. 

From what I can gather supply of short term rental properties has increased markedly and along with the cost of living going through the roof it is inevitable that hosts will not do as well as in the past. No doubt as the market self corrects all will become good again (for those that survive).

You say you are well priced compared to unbooked properties but that is somewhat irrelevant. How do you compare to booked properties?

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Callum73 I can only give our experience with our apartments. We are just about matching last years revenues but we are having to allow a 3 night min stay even in July/August and we haven't increased the nightly rate at all. As such our costs are higher and profits down. 

From what I can gather supply of short term rental properties has increased markedly and along with the cost of living going through the roof it is inevitable that hosts will not do as well as in the past. No doubt as the market self corrects all will become good again (for those that survive).

You say you are well priced compared to unbooked properties but that is somewhat irrelevant. How do you compare to booked properties?

Hi Mike/Jane, 

Thanks for the message. It's a good point to raise about additional short term rental properties as additional competition will impact booking rates. 

If you view your calendar and select the dates you do not have booked, you can compare similar listings/pricing, unbooked and booked. This is a useful tool to see if your listing pricing is competitive within your area (geographically). 

When I say I'm well priced, the tool tells me that unbooked listings (for private rooms) are priced between £48 - £70 per night. In my view, I'm priced competitively at £52 per night. Booked nights are priced between £40 - £58 per night. I guess the upper end  price wise of booked nights but the supply of lower priced accommodation within the area appears limited. 

I hope that explains it. Worth looking at the tool. 

C

@Callum73 I think the tools (which I already use hence my suggestion to look at booked rates) made my point for me. Booked nights are much cheaper than unbooked nights which is probably why those places were booked. Your £52 rate is towards the top end of the booked nights range hence it may be too expensive if you want high occupancy..

Mark4752
Level 4
Maryport, United Kingdom

@Callum73 £50 sounds high when there's a shared bathroom; if you are able to make it on suite, £50 would be OK.

I allow single night stays but compensate by adding a small cleaning charge.

I've had an overall 70% occupancy from the two rooms I rent.

Callum73
Level 2
Ryde, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Callum here 👋

Following on from my other post about tips and tricks to increase bookings, I have now listened to some feedback and lowered prices to make my listing more competitive. 

I wanted to ask all spareroomers about other tips and strategies to increase views to their profile. 

Clearly, price plays a big role in people staying. However, I wondered if there were more options.

I've made midweek one night stays possible. Keeping two night stays Friday to Monday only. 

I was thinking whether creating a lower price for one person stays and then adding on an additional fee per person, per night might make it more appealing for solo travellers. 

Any strategies and tips from spareroomers about increasing profile views would be welcome. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Callum73 Hi Callum, just wondering why you have listed as 'shared bedroom' , it looks like you will be bunking in with the host, Just saying ... ha ha. Maybe change that .... H