U.K. tax, laundry and cleaning

Karen3504
Level 1
Taunton, United Kingdom

U.K. tax, laundry and cleaning

Hello, it’s my first year and first tax return. I do all cleaning and laundry myself, with costs of washing machine, dryer etc in my own home, not the Airbnb, and of course my time. Can I include this as an allowable expense for tax purposes without any receipts?

Thankyou for any advice!

3 Replies 3
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Yes, you can. Definite guide is here.

[pg8 cleaning]

https://assets.airbnb.com/eyguidance/uk.pdf 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Karen3504 Yes you can put the cost of using your washer/dryer/electricity as an expense.

However if you expense your time (say £1000 per year) you would also need to register the £1000 as your income so you end up achieving nothing I am afraid.

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Karen, I'm afraid Mike & Jane is correct, inc./ expense would negate each other; HOWEVER while no one here would advice doing anything illegal - you are entitled to do anything / and claim / add/ discount what the rules allows you to. [there are things for joint-owners, only one room etc etc] If at level of Mike Jaeger and Phillip Green, they do anything with off-shore and tax-acrobatics to save millions and billions, the average mother / woman in Taunton, I think is allowed to go and hire an accountant for £300 and maybe save £3,000. [ask in advance if they can do this] G. Luck