UK Tax Return

UK Tax Return

Hi UK hosts!

Im doing my first tax return as a host and am looking for information

What type of things can i count as expenses, eg ive bought lots of new bedding, replaced old kitchen items and furniture, had someone do repairs around the house and garden etc but apart from general bills such as utilities, internet etc what else can i claim for?

many thanks

jan

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jan186 The rules vary depending on whether you are a Furnished Holiday Let or not. If you are (and it means you have to host for 105? days per year and be available for 210) then you can claim mortgage interest.

Other than standard bills which should include insurance, council tax (although you should be business rated if a FHL) the basic rule is repairs/replacements are allowed but not improvements as the latter go against your capital gains tax when you come to sell

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

1. UK

What Airbnb expenses can I deduct UK?
Can I deduct my Airbnb income expenses?
  • General maintenance and repairs (not improvements)
  • Water rates, council tax, gas and electricity.
  • Tax relief for mortgage interest.
  • Costs of cleaning.
  • Accountant's fees.
  • Insurance.

2. general

What expenses are tax deductible for Airbnb?
Which Airbnb expenses are tax-deductible?
  • Cleaning services and supplies. ...
  • Repairs and maintenance. ...
  • Insurance, property taxes, and mortgage. ...
  • Utilities. ...
  • Appliances, furniture, and household supplies. ...
  • Marketing and advertisements. ...
  • Professional services. ...
  • Vacation rental software.

Some mention listing fees, food for guests, cleaning and so on; however 1 thing to remember; if you aibrnb in investment property or a property you don't live in full-time ' it counts as a business; here you have definite guide + some useful links at the bottom.  

https://www.guestready.com/blog/airbnb-income-tax/ 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Uk taxation/rental income -airbnb

full guide, pdf,48pg

https://assets.airbnb.com/eyguidance/uk.pdf 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Bes175 I think the ey guidance is generally correct but not section 1.10 . If it is a FHL then income can be apportioned between spouses as they wish.

I appreciate that Mike & Jane, and FWIW I do think you are correct [from your experience] Hopefully all of the above can go some way to help Jan.