What happen after I refuse to pay damage cost

Answered!
David2025
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

What happen after I refuse to pay damage cost

Hello,

I would like to ask what happens after the host requested me to pay 4K CZK damage fee, later Airbnb lowered it to 2K CZK in resolution center between us and gave me 48h to pay it, since they tried to take it from my account, like the deposit, but I don't have any money there and will not have any soon until another paycheck. 

What happens if I don't pay this damage fee in 48h as they requested?

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@David2052 The stairs are made out of ready pine and not solid . some of it is rotted and some is worm eaten so I imagine those are not legal stairs to start with . No one would charge 4000 dollars for that , no legitimate builder . It comes under health and safety . Ask for the copy of the account and ring the builder who fixes .I think its a scam H

View Best Answer in original post

53 Replies 53

@Shelly228  Whenever a guest posts something like this, before answering, I take a look at the host's previous reviews and the reviews they have left for their past guests to make sure they don't have a history of other guests saying the host was somehow unfair, or that the host has left critical reviews for all their guests. 

Your host has 98 reviews, of which I read about half, as well as half the reviews she has left for her guests. Aside from one bad review she left for a group of bad guests who trashed the house, and the retaliatory review that guest left for being called out on his group's bad behavior, the host has a history of glowing reviews from guests and has left lovely reviews for her guests.

So it appears clear that this host is not some kind of fusspot scammer. No one here has any way of knowing what was done to the sink or the degree of damage, but you aren't looking good here, Shelley. What was your daughter doing having a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on the bed? (what do you mean, wet sheet? It probably left a stain that won't come out) Why did you let your dog poop in the yard instead of taking it off the property for walks or making sure you had cleaned up after it? Why do you think check-out time is something it's okay not to honor? It doesn't matter that you were packed up- check out time means you are supposed to vacate the property by then.

I think there was an accumulation of things that added up to being disrespectful- a general attitude. Had it just been one thing, the host would likely have let it go. 

If you damaged the sink, you should pay for it. Saying you can't imagine how you could have damaged it isn't surprising. You also didn't notice the dog poop, your daughter having a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on or near the bed, or what time you needed to start packing up so you could vacate the property at the stated check-out time.

What was the outcome did they request the money or take you to court? @Shelly228 

In the end—nothing.  Airbnb decided the claim was valid—how they did is beyond me—but, they said is was up to me to pay if I wanted to.  So, it was a middle of the road decision that kept everyone happy.  I have heard nothing more on this issue and have had no issues with any Airbnb stays since.  I also want to add that in my efforts to be considerate of the host, I did not notice until after all the drama that my checkout time was NOT 11, but 12!! So I never did anything wrong!! She texted me the night before checkout “reminding” me to leave by 11, but the listing actually said 12! I assume she had forgotten to change the listing! In summation, an unfortunate interaction, but no harm done.  

Did you email them saying you weren’t going to pay or did you disregard the email completely cause they emailed me saying the same thing it was up to me off I wanted to pay for something I didn’t do

The host is accusing me of causing water damage to the top inner corner of one the kitchen cupboard door (one door) and asked £2700 to replace all the doors. What she is blaming me for is simply wear and tear not something caused in a 6 days stay. On the undated (so could have been taken anytime after our departure) pictures she sent Airbnb she clearly has exaggerated the problem by pulling out the laminate covering on both sides of the cupboard door. This was not like that when were there or we would have noticed it and I told Airbnb that I will not accept any responsibility.  The resolution centre said that based on the documentation she provided I should only pay £627 which again I am refusing to pay as I have not caused this damage and cannot provide me with proof. Documentation she has provided are undated pictures and a quotation to have all her kitchen doors replaced. How can airbnb uses that as evidence is beyond me. Anyone experienced anything similar? It is not the host first time judging by one of her previous reviews 

We had an issue with ants on the first couple of days and she is so lucky I did not complain or asked to me moved 

rn im havin the same issue, the host is complaining about his matresses, he said that we soaked it in water and piss, obviously this is fake. He told us to remove everything on the matresses, we saw blood and stain but we didnt take importance. So a few days later he is charging us 600 dollars.i suggest to take photos since arrival

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@David2052 The stairs are made out of ready pine and not solid . some of it is rotted and some is worm eaten so I imagine those are not legal stairs to start with . No one would charge 4000 dollars for that , no legitimate builder . It comes under health and safety . Ask for the copy of the account and ring the builder who fixes .I think its a scam H