@soldiersofdestiny

John6316
Level 2
County Dublin, Ireland

@soldiersofdestiny

It Is my belief that Airbnb will shoot themselves in the foot by  involving themselves in recommending  new short term letting laws.

I am an "accidental landlord" . I have joined Airbnb to achieve a decent income. The government take 50 percent of all " unearned"  rental income.

Before letting out our home short term,Myself and my wife were surviving on our old age pension of  400 Euros per week.

The Irish government is not known for  providing proper social housing, or  affordable long term accomodation for students, illegal migrants etc.  When they bring in their new laws, they will  will ,without the shadow of a doubt, be Draconian, and worsen the accomodation crisis  they themselves have created; and make short term lettings for tourists as scarce as long term lettings which are soaring in price.

At present I am hosting  desperate tourists from all over the world on short term lettings . I feel I am doing heroic service for our tourist industry  because the groups I  host have been quoted twice to three times my fee ,by Dublin Hoteliers  who are gouging visitors for short term rooms , and on course to destroy the tourist industry in Ireland.

2 Replies 2
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@John6316 

I am not sure I understand your message you want to share here.

What new short term letting laws are you talking about?

Annie

The Irish government are about to bring in new legislation which will forbid short term lettings by owners of second properties, because owners find it more profitable than the rent they can get for long term lettings.