A very demanding guest and a very possible negative review

Irma22
Level 2
Klis, Croatia

A very demanding guest and a very possible negative review

Hello Airbnb community, I need help from all of you and sincere opinion. 

I have a very specific guest right now in my house. She and her friend are leaving tomorrow morning. They booked only 2 nights just few days ago when I was sure that my 3-day gap will stay empty. I must say that I am extremly happy with guests I receive through Airbnb. But this time it's another story. 

Even before they arrived yesterday they started asking me all sorts of things like : "Hi Irma, your website says check in is after 5 pm. Is it possible to check in any earlier? Maybe 2 pm?"; "Do you have a blender we can use?" ; "We are hoping to create a seafood extravaganza for my friend’s birthday. Can you recommend any places to buy food or other gourmet goodies?"; "my friend would like local seafood- are there local scallops, prawns, octopus, squid or fish available. Also a go butcher for local lamb.". All those questions are quite normal and nothing out of the ordinary BUT it's not the end. 

When they arrived they just didn't stop with all sorts of demands one after another without any pause. I just couldn't believe my own ears. Here's the list: "You fridge is not cold enough. Can you make it work on lower temperatures? (it was on normal setting 4 celsius degrees)", " You don't have enough ice in the fridge, can you bring me one box of ice?", "Your baking dish is too small, can you bring something bigger?", "There are some mosquitoes around, bring me the repellent, every house should have that, your house is not well equipped" (at that point I was very annoyed by the way they demanded and the tone in their voice), "Bring me more kitchen towels", "where can I buy Chardonnay?" (the house is in a lonely place, far away from luxurious boutiques and expensive goodies), "Pillow case is too harsh, it scratched my face, give me another softer one!" (this one was hilarious, no one ever said something like that to me and I've been doing this job for few years already).  They took 2 plates and served food in house for a cat that lives around property. Cat was lying everywhere living the high life and eating from plates that are exclusively for guests! My listing has very clear all the amenities that I provide, and animals are clearly listed as not allowed in the house. Not to make this way to long, thing is that I am 100 % sure that they will leave a negative review on my listing. I clearly told them that I am their host, but not their private butler. They were visibly annoyed by my reply. Any advices?

9 Replies 9

Well, if they are only there two nights..it sounds like you may best have to grin and bear it.

I would have stopped them right at the beginning and made clear what the host does and does not do and if they werent happy then they could pack their bags and leave.

Before they do leave, just see anyway, if you can see them and try and get a cordial leaving sentiment...ask if everything worked out with whatever they were cooking/baking and that you hope they managed despite obviously not having a kitchen as well stocked  as an entire full cooking/baking store.

Sounds like they took the term "Superhost" into their own hands and pushed you to the limit expecting the "Superhost" to meet their needs, and rude demands.

I would just write an honest/polite/correct review as you normally would.

Try and write short,precise statements rather than a long monologue, that describes the type of guests they were, and dont necessarily include every demand they asked for.Score them accordingly. 

Let them do their review too...they see it all as a game .... wait and then reply to their review on you, again polite but factual and correct.

They will stand out as bad guests rather than you as a bad host.

Ignore the scoring ...we cant do anything about it..no point losing sleep over it...it may not be as bad as you think or they may not even do a review...who knows

Afterwards..move on...

Thanks Mike for your opinion. I did exactly what you said. When they were leaving I was really polite and cordial and wished them safe trip home. They were a bit cold and didn't even give a hand. Thing is that I really take it personally as I really care a lot for my guests and want them to feel special so these kind of situations are totally out of my comfort zone and make me very anxious. Nevertheless, thank you for support and good advice. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would have remained polite and professional.

Say that your listing is exactly as described and that if they want additional facilities such as ice, mosquito repellant, baking dishes, towels, the nearest shop for them to get them at is XXX.

That you have decent quality linen which all other guests have enjoyed.

If they are not happy at your place, you would be happy for them to cancel and find something that better suits their needs.

Do make sure you leave an honest review to warn other hosts.

Dear Helen, I have remained polite. I've told them about a shop not far away. Still when they were leaving this morning I could see on their faces that they were a bit mad that I didn't buy that repellent she requested. Thank you a lot for your input. I appreciate it

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Irma0

Hi Irma,

the best thing for those people would be a smith and wesson.

Now, seriously. Even though I'm generally the smith and wesson type of person, there is another solution to such people and that is the so called „over acting solution“, or the „butler game solution“

The butler game solution

Try to overact to each an every demand that they have, do act like a butler from hell.

• Bring me more kitchen towels

• leave the room, lock for 2 kitchen towels

• 10 minutes later, knock on their door, here are Your towels

• 20 minutes later, knock on their door: I've searched my house, here are 2 more towels

• 20 minutes later, knock on their door, I've searched my house again, can't find more towels, pls give me the ones that are dirty, I will wash and dry them for You.

• Where can I buy Chardonnay?

• Search the internet for 2 retailstores in a 10 mile circle.

• Knock on their door: I found 2 Chardonnay stores, do You want to go there or do You want me to pick them up for You

• Pick them up

• Drive to the first store. They have 2 brands of Chardonnay. Call them on the cellphone and ask if they like these brands of if they want You to drive to the second store.

• Go to the socond store

• Have lunch at a McDonalds next to store 1

• Call them, the second store is out of Chardonnay, if they want You to drive back to store 1.

• Finish You McDonalds Coffee, read the paper and call them 20 minutes later.

• You're back to store one, witch of the 2 brands available do the want?

• Brand 2

• Drive home knock on their door and give them the Chardonnay.

• 20 minutes later. Knock on their door, ask for the money for the Chardonnay

• We pay when we leave

• 20 minutes later. Knock on their door, tell them You called airbnb and they sayed, no cash payments allowed, it has to go through the resolution center. You have never done this before, but You'll try.

• 20 minutes later: Knock on their door, tell them You have set up the resolution center thing, they must accept with their cellphone.

• We don't have the airnb app installed

• Tell them to do so

• 20 minutes later. Knock on ther door, ask if the app works.

• Not yet, we'll try

• 40 minutes later. Knock on their door. You have a call from airbnb, they ask why the money request isn't accepted from their side. Airbnb says You must accept now, otherwise the entire reservation will be flagged

• 30 minutes later: Knock on their door, ask about the towel situation

Next day, 7 am.

• Knock on their door. A writing pad in Your left hand and a pen in Your right hand. Ask what they want for breakfast so that You can go and get it for them.

And this list goes on and on and on and never ends. Disturb them 30 times a day trying fo fulfil demands that they themselves brought up.

When leaving, thell them that this was an exciting experience for You, know You know where to improve and thank them for the callange.

Then rate them 2*

Dear Ute,

Thank you from bottom of my heart for such a smart, funny and long comment. I might try that if I encounter such strange guests again. I was laughing so hard while reading, you made my day better. 

I really hope not to encounter similar guests again. 

Have a lovely day. 
Irma

This should become an actual Help article. 

Please let it be so. 

Good job  ute 

also, one addition if I may. Here, all of these steps would also include this phrase “bless your heart”. Look it up and then try it out as needed with unreasonable guests. It makes me feel better when talking to guests who are lost bc they chose to not read the provided directions. Also for those who don’t have the manners to know that they are behaving badly. 

Dear silly inconsiderate guest, bless your heart. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Šifra za takve je "better suited in a 5* hotel" .. ako ti oni ostave review... ako ne možda bolje da ni ti ne ostaviš jer se nemreš nadat da će te takvi ishvalit, takvi nisu nikad zadovoljni

Ute 😄 lol

Drage Branka i Silvia, 

Hvala puno na komentaru. Ako ostave zloban komentar svakako ću im tako odgovoriti. Lip pozdrav