ARRIVE and DEPART instead of "check in" and "check out." ...it's NOT a hotel !

Channah0
Level 2
Vienna, VA

ARRIVE and DEPART instead of "check in" and "check out." ...it's NOT a hotel !

PLEASE change the "check in" and "check out" wording to "arrive"/"Arrival" and "Depart" / "Departure!"

These are people's HOMES, not hotels or motels.

And many of us LIVE IN the same home where people stay in a room or a floor level of Our HOUSE, our Home.

This is the whole Point of airbnb--as an alternative to hotels and motels!

Also this wording draws fire from hotel/motel indistry,  and causes difficulties in other ways. 

Please kindly make this needed edit. 

Thanks,

from a long-time airbnb Super Host

9 Replies 9
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

This forum is not monitored by AirBnB.

David

Ok, thanks. 

Perhaps if a lot more of us suggest this, Airbnb will make the edit. 

Am having challenges getting this constructive suggestion and idea heard and submitted to Airbnb over lo these past few-years.

Thus, am just putting it "out there!"

Any ideas welcome. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think there's a lot more to worry about in terms of BNB's model than these words. It makes no difference to me as a host. I can't see how it would make a difference to any other host either.

I much more worried about issues around Instant Book, confusion around cancellation, minimising risks for hosts around problem guests and the ongoing problems with making claims when guests damage a property etc.

apology for any misunderstanding on that; am not 'worried' about anything...

Am constructively suggesting that we make these words say what they actually "are."  - Arrival and Departure.

Was not addressing other matters.

(The hotel/model industry wording has in fact caused some persons difficulties and misunderstandings, as well as confusions about what it all is and about expectations among new airbnb users, etc.  ...) 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

If you feel strongly about this, @Channah0, you could post it in Host Voice. Better chance of it being seen by the people who might change the wording. Host Voice is in the dropdown under Discuss at the top of this page. 

In the meantime, all your private communication with guests, and anything you write on your page, can use your preferred wording. I do like check-in and check-out. Seems clearer. But I understand your point. 

Thank you @Lawrene0,  it has been a challenge figuring out how to post there for some reason....   Will take a run at it again.  thx.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Channah0  I agree you could start a discussion about this matter on Host Voice which is monitored in that a highly supported suggestion is sent to the Air BNB team.  As to your suggestion, I understand and appreciate how use of language can shape our expectations.  Arrival/Departure versus Check-In/Check-out is a good example of this.  I wonder if there are other terms that fall into the hotel experience category.  Thank you for pointing this out, Channah

Hotels have guests.

David

Right-O; thanks much for your thoughts...

It would be an easy programming change.

And perhaps airbnb might not draw so much fire from hotel/motel industry battling its operations in courts, e.g., New York and other places....

Beyond that, "arrive" and "depart" convey a very different sense for persons arriving to stay at people's homes, and for the Home Owners themselves (us) also. 

And, especially among relatively new airbnb travelers, the "check-in/out" hotel jargon seems to misrepresent what's going on and to cause confusion.  (I'm not at a desk "checking people in!"  It's my HOUSE -- i Live here !)   ....

Thanks again. 

channahsorah.