Accidental damage insurance / cover

Sundeep1
Level 2
Worcester, United Kingdom

Accidental damage insurance / cover

Hi,

We've just returned from Tel Aviv where we stayed at a host's property. During the stay I accidently damaged the TV. I've informed the host, who like me, is a bit unsure about insurance cover and liability.

Is the host automatically covered for accidental damage, or am I liable to pay for the damage? Anyone else been in a situation where they've accidently damaged something at a property they were staying at? What did you do to resolve it?

By the way, no security deposit was paid (if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advanc for your help Air Bnb community.

Sundeep

9 Replies 9
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Sundeep0 you are responsible for the repair or replacement. The owner should send you the cost in a request for money on the AirBnB messaging system. You accept and pay. If you don't accept it moves on to AirBnB resolution center and they will make the decision as to whether to charge you or not. The host will probably not be paid by AirBnB at all even if they did not decide to charge you for it.  

Sundeep1
Level 2

I have to admit I'm surprised that insurance doesn't cover such accidental damage. Makes me reconsidering using Air BNB property in future as accidents can happen. If I stay at a hotel and something is damaged I imagine insurance would cover it.

Anyway, thanks for your reply Letitia.

Sundeep

If you do have Insurance then it matters not if you stay with a Hotel or book through AirBnB.

Obviously Hotels list on AirBnB as well.

To what extent your Insurance applies depends very much on what happened. I would certainly report the incident to them.

David

I agree.  VRBO does offer that coverage for a $79 fee.  As an owner, I require all of our VRBO guests to get it.  I've never had to file a claim, but I expect it to be much easier and will put the guests minds at ease. I wish Airbnb would offer this.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sundeep1,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened. The host will have to go through the resolution center (see link). 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center. 

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sundeep1
Level 2

Hiya,

I'm still having difficulty resolving the damaged TV issue with my host. I understand all hosts are covered by air bnb host guarantee, but requests must be submitted before guests check out. I reported the damage on the day it happened and we checked out the following day.

The host wasn't aware of this rule and by the time she reported it to Air BnB, other guests had moved in.

Is there no other insurance route open to the host? 

Thanks,

Sundeep

Sundeep1
Level 2

Thanks Quincy! 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sundeep

Maybe you should stick to Hotels where they costed accidental damage into the price, not so much Airbnb where it's an uphill struggle to get remunerated for damage done.

It would be really nice of you just to pay for the damage done so as not to inconvenience you Host further.

I would say that most Hosts have no understanding of overhead recovery, let alone asset replacement costs.

You do realise every call that a host makes on his/her insurance alters their risk liability and ultimately their cost of insurance and while I'm at it they may not be covered pursuant to commercial activity.

Sundeep1
Level 2

I'd be happy to contrubute to replacing the TV. However the host is claiming $1,500. The damaged tv is a standard 42in Samsung. I've found far superior models avialable for half of that price.