Account Suspended

Alastair-and-Glen0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Account Suspended

Hi Guys,

Hoping to get some clarity on the investigation process.

Apologies for detail below, but i guess I'm trying to be heard so need to put something to open this conversation.

I've previously posted about receiving a revenge review from a guest that we called her out on bringing additional guests .

In summary, customer booked for 2 (obviously that means they changed the preset minimum booking from 1).  We saw them when we were leaving the house next door which we are renovating with 5 guests in the driveway, so very politely sent a message to request if i could adjust the booking.  She agreed to the extra charges and said she didn't realise she needed to set a guest number, and also added that she felt very uncomfortable that we addressed her in that manner and felt it was inappropriate to watch her family (or something to that effect).  Advised her that we were putting rubbish out and getting in the car and didn't feel it was appropriate to interrupt her with her family.

So comes the ratty review, which she accused us of having cameras thought the house, and we watch the guests. We appealed to customer support as it was slanderous, unproven and definitely untrue - we do have front and rear security cameras, which we do declare on our listing.  The review was removed.

However, the guest was obviously not happy that her review was removed and has now escalated the complaint and been referred to a case manager.  Our account has now been limited and not showing in listings.  We received an email advising us of the investigation and wanting to set up a call 10 days later - meaning our listing would be off for 10 days.  I asked for the call to be the next morning but advised that the case manager was now on leave and returning 10 days later, and so was referred on to another case manager. In the meantime we sent all details of the property security system, detailing and giving examples of the camera images.  We also sent all correspondence we had with guest which was extremely positive up until being caught out.

I have received an email advising that they had received all information and they were reviewing.

Its now been a week and all we are being told is that its still under investigation.

So my last email was asking if there are other accusations being made as I would have assumed the info we provided would have been enough to clarify the situation and have our account reinstated.

I'm trying to understand what the investigation process entails, and how long it can take?

And is there a way to actually speak to someone at ABNB that this can be escalated to?  I don't want to offend any of the CM's but when you are innocent and at the mercy of a guest making false accusation and your investment and all your hard work is put at risk, you just want some urgent assistance!

Thanks

Alastair

25 Replies 25
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Alastair-and-Glen0  & welcome to CC.

Sorry to read of your unfortunate situation.

As luck would have it the Head of Customer services is @Laura_C and a lovely Australian.

You may like to msg her through her name above & ask her if it's possible to intervene/ assist.

Keep us posted how you advance

All the best from across the ocean in Auckland, New Zealand.

@Helen427 you are my savior! Thank you so much for your note. 

I have messaged Laura as suggested and hope that she might be able to assist.

I cant thank you enough, Helen.   

Regards

Alastair

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Helen427 ,

Thanks for mentioning @Laura_C ! I think there's a bit of confusion on her role, mind you! Laura is not the Head of Customer Services, rather, the Head of Core Hosts and Community. Whilst I'm sure she loves to hear from all of you wonderful hosts, she's not always the best person to reach out to with CS related issues. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

oh my @Stephanie now I hope I'm not in hot water with @Laura_C , am I?

Sorry if I've made a blunder.

@Laura_Cwhat does your role entail as Head of core Hosts & Community?
If it's been mentioned here in CC bfore please accept my apologies for any ommissions.

Thanks in advance

Oh @Helen427 you could never be in hot water, you are amazing!!! 

Here's my job: I help new core hosts (ie not professional property managers/ hotels) join Airbnb, and help existing core hosts be successful in achieving their goals (through education, Superhost program, tips to get more bookings, tools). I also collect feedback on what's most important to hosts and work to get those changes made (in partnership for example with the Policy or Customer Support teams). And finally, I look after our community - offline and online, helping hosts connect and engage (eg we look after the Community Center). Hope that makes sense - LMK any questions!

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you @Laura_C for your kind words and speedy reply.

Keep up the fabulous work

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

It's a pleasure @Alastair-and-Glen0 , can't say I've been called a Godly name for a while!!

Ballarat is a nice place in Victoria, Australia and you have many great reviews.

Got to keep you Australians in jobs :)!!

Best

@Helen427  Yes! Have to keep us Australians in order!

Ballarat is a beautiful place, we work hard to be great hosts, customer service is everything to me!  

Please do look us up if you ever come to Ballarat!

Thanks again!

hahaha @Cathie19 @Kath9 @Robin4 @Rachel177 @Syl11 @Laura_C @Sandra126 and all you other lovely Australians now listen up to @Alastair-and-Glen0 

So miss that Australians and New Zealand banter in person.

Been to Melbourne a few times, great place, fun people, disgraceful the delightful old Carlton Pub near Queen Vic Markets was demolished - had many a fun time in there on our travels and at the Melbourne Cup  Carnival - you folk should be busy with Taylor Swift coming this year 🙂

@Helen427 have to get through the AFL grandfinal next weekend, that is always a busy time for me as I'm 20 minutes walk from the MCG.

@Rachel177  I hope you have great guests to entertain you & behave!!

You have the lovely Botanic gardens near you, always loved wandering through them and did once many years ago walk along the MCG.

I'm hoping one of my guests from Melbourne returns in the near future as she has planned - She went to school in Melbourne central and is a swimming coach.

Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

Not just Australian ... I actually grew up in Ballarat! Windermere st.  Small world!!! I’ll check out your message @Alastair-and-Glen0  ... thanks for reaching out ... and thanks to the wonderful @Helen427 for tagging me. 

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

oh @Alastair-and-Glen0  & @Laura_C  you are probably related by family!

Wouldn't that be funny!?

Small world has it's bonuses

Thanks for your kind words.

Enjoy your day.

@Helen427  All Australian's are related by their camaraderie to rally around each other!

Glen and I aren't from "the rat", but we have fallen in love with the place.  Watch out for our second listing toward the end of the year! We're currently renovating the house next door and the properties in Ballarat are just stunning. Casa Da Familia is a Spanish Mission Art Deco, and our next listing which we have named "The Californian", is a 100 year old Californian Bungalow - with a lot of history!!!

I've touched base with Laura and she has be so kind as to reply - you can't imagine how excited I was when I saw her message.  She grew up 2 streets away from our homes!

Thanks again Helen, even though we're still needing to get to the bottom of this investigation, we're just stoked that someone has heard us, and it's all thanks to you.

Would you mind if I kept your contact handy for future reference if we are ever in need of advise from an AirBnB pro?

Have the most wonderful weekend!

Cheers

Alastair and Glen