Account might be suspended for cancelling reservation

Answered!
Heidi122
Level 1
Collingwood, Canada

Account might be suspended for cancelling reservation

I have only been on Airbnb as a host for a short time / we have yet to host for the first time.  

The first person who wanted to rent from us had a profile picture that was dark and broody and ominous looking, you couldn't make out anything about the person.  I was very uncomfortable, and I asked the person to provide a more appropriate profile pic, he ranted and went on about his privacy.  I cancelled the reservation.

The second person who booked with us changed the reservation.  It was supposed to be two couples.  Then one of the couples cancelled and she asked if they could bring a 3 month old baby with them.  My house rules clearly state no children under the age of 2.  I am not equipped for the 3 month old baby and told her so.  I responded within minutes, I didn't hold anyone up, the conversation was held well in advance of the date they were to arrive / but nearly a month.

Now I am being told by Airbnb that my account risks being suspended because I cancelled two reservations.  Yes I did.  For two good reasons.  Is there a human that I can speak to @Lizzie26 to discuss the specifics of this situation?  Thank you for your help.  ~ heidi

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Heidi122

Hi - never ever cancel a reservation - get AirBnB to do it for you. All the platform sees is a cancellation and not the good reasons why you did so. Pretty confident that if you had contacted AIrBnB in both instances they would have supported your request to cancel. They would have done it for you and found them alternative accommodaton.

Contact them and explain is all you can do and see if they will reverse the penalties you receive for cancelling.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Heidi122

Hi - never ever cancel a reservation - get AirBnB to do it for you. All the platform sees is a cancellation and not the good reasons why you did so. Pretty confident that if you had contacted AIrBnB in both instances they would have supported your request to cancel. They would have done it for you and found them alternative accommodaton.

Contact them and explain is all you can do and see if they will reverse the penalties you receive for cancelling.

Thank you very much, this is good information!  Any idea how you get in touch with anyone?  I can't seem to find how to get in touch with anyone at Airbnb, thank you.  ~ heidi @Gerry-And-Rashid0

Airbnbhelp on Twitter has always worked well for me. 

Sue-Ellen0
Level 2
Port Orchard, WA

Hi Heidi:

Here is the phone number for Airbnb hosts: 1-855-424-7262. I have found them helpful and willing to problem solve. It's best to make sure of the guest before agreeing if you can, as in case one.

With the family, I might have replied that your house rules do not accomodate babies and then they would have requested the cancellation. Often folks just don't read the rules and when you let them know in a nice way, they will respond.

Hope this is helpful --