Accuracy reviews - a punishment vs a compliment

Rick49
Level 2
Vernon, Canada

Accuracy reviews - a punishment vs a compliment

We are "small time" Airbnb hosts for about a year now. Love it so far, meeting great people.  My concern, is regarding the "accuracy" portion of the review process.  This is not that we think people regard our suite to be less than what they hoped.  Instead,  a couple of times now we have had guests give us a 4/5 because THE SUITE IS BETTER THAN SHOWN IN THE PHOTOS.  MUCH NICER PLACE TO STAY AT THAN SHOWN.  While we can take all the photos in the world, we understand that seeing the suite first-hand is going to give people a more accurate impression that just viewing and reading about it on their computer.  However, while I think the guests are trying to be complimentary, in reality their evaluation has a negative effect on our reviews. The accuracy portion seems to be quite important and with our last 4/5 (with a comment that the place is BETTER than described) we received a notice from Airbnb that rather indicates we need to pull up our socks.  What to do?

6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Rick49 Put a poster on the front door inside/any other visible place that reads, "If you liked our place, score us 5/5." Guests are going more and more weird anyway... Too many tests on job interviews?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Rick49
Seriously? You have a 5 star rating overall and for all categories. Are you just trying to get people to look at your listing?

@Ben205 What? That's not a very nice accusation in response to  a fairly normal topic of conversation. Of course a couple of 4 star reviews in one category haven't brought down his overall 5-star status. That doesn't mean it won't if it keeps happening, or that it isn't worth discussing. 

Ouch.  That's kind of mean.  Honest question that I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want some good advice.  Better to say nothing.

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Lyndsey2@Rick49

There are many people on here who would give their proverbial right arm for the reviews you have (and the home you have listed). And will wonder why a couple of 4s would bother you.

But as they do, take a look at Lyndsey's place to see what your guests are talking about. At the risk of appearing mean again, not a stacked plastic chair in sight!

You place is listed as 'Valley Vista' but your first 2 photos are a rattan sofa set. Most recent 4 reivews -

'Rick's place sits on a beautiful hill with a patio overlooking the valley'

'Not only you get the view...'

'Excellent living space, great view'

'Outstanding view!'

You must have read these reviews, hence my original comment. People unfortunately come on here all the time saying 'what's wrong with my place' and I look at their listing with 100+ 5s reviews and I just wish it was my problem!

Sort your pictures and it will be 5s all the way.

Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Rick49

We have had this exact same thing happen too.  I do not believe in reaching out to the guest about their review except in these instances.  I did write a little note to let them know that we had done our best with the photos and we were pleased we had exceeded their expectations.  I explain to them that for future reviews it would be better to note this in feedback to the host rather than have their score negatively affected for something that is actually a positive.  In the end any tallies are made from the overall experience score only so it does not really have an impact on your standing but it is nice for the guest to know that this type of backhanded compliment is not helpful.  Hopefully the ones who have been made aware will not do this to other hosts.

Lisa