Advice for Guest complaint, refund

Alicia269
Level 2
Bangor, PA

Advice for Guest complaint, refund

Hello All,

I am new to Airbnb and would like advice on how to handle my first complaint and refund request.

[Personal details hidden as per the community guidelines]

They checked in at 7 pm, after multiple calls and messages. 

The reservation was for 2 people, master bedroom has AC, all other rooms have ceiling fans. I have not had any complaints regarding it being hot in Condo, however I am working on installing more AC units.

I was not aware wifi had an issue and technician will be called this week.

According to my cleaning personal the Master bedroom, with AC was not used. The 2 bedroom which has queen & Twin bed was used. Total of 5 towels used, which indicated there was more than 2 peope in the Condo.

Cleaning personal also says there is no issue with pool having fungus or dirty water. 

Condo Maintenance personal is working on exterior issues since Hurricane.

My apartment is fully equipped, we'l maintained, cleaned & cared for, I have sent Condo Association a complaint about exterior grounds, however guest did stay the night instead of choosing to leave immediately.

Please provide feedback on how I should handle and respond to this situation.

The paid appx. 50.00 per night & 35.00 cleaning fee total 135.00, they are requesting 85.00 refund.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

4 Replies 4

@Alicia269

i would open a general conversation about their complaint issues and say that you take their issues seriously, and as such have taken the time and trouble to speak to different personnel who attend the property.

Let me know what the cleaner,maintenance people have told you ...maybe ask the guest is they took any photos of the pool/fungus,dirty water .....unusual for people not to take photos with their phones these days...especially when they want to complain

wifi.....check it...did they send those messages from your WFi ?? ,... did they report any problem to you ?

usually wifi issue is something people get in touch with straight away ...

no light in hallway...true?

i wouldntoffer any refund just yet.....try and get to the bottom of what is true and what isnt about the complaints...but do it in a friendly, investigative way......

any maintenance people or neighbours see how many people were going in and out? ...did anyone actually see them using the pool?...despite them saying it was "dirty" ?

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your input.

Yes, she screen shot the Claro wifi issue, I reached out to technicians, but they are only available to come out Mon-Fri to access the issue.

Condo Maintenance personal advised there has been an issue with lighting in hallway since the Hurricane, however they are NOT able to give me and ETA as to when it can be resolved, I requested the Condo Association grate me permission to put in solar lighting in the interim. Maintenance personal will install solar lights this week.

I am not local, therefore I do not know how many people checked in, I still go by the honor system.

Cleaning personal says there was 1 empty bottle of wine and 2 empty six pack left in trash and bathroom. A total of 5 towels us queen and twin beds used.

There are 5 people currently using pool with no issues. Cleaning and maintenance personal say there are no issues with pool.

Should I change my listing to reflect no wifi? 

Cheers,

Alicia

IMG_9025.jpg

@Alicia269

So the complaints are more about the wifi and lighting. Lack of WiFi is indeed a nuisance to most guests these days...it is seen as necessary as running water, almost.

I would advise that you have a report from maintenance that there is no problem with the pool and that people are currently using it without issue, and unless the guest has photo evidence I would dismiss that complaint. 

However for the wifi and lighting problems I would offer a discount ...I would have thought 50 was sufficient, but depends whether you want to debate the difference between 50 and 85.

Yes, if the wifi is currently a problem I would advise any guests due to arrive shortly. It may obviously be resolved for guests arriving in later weeks/month.