Age discrimination question

Linda275
Level 2
Spring, TX

Age discrimination question

With the new antidicriminatory policy, is there a minimum age that we are "allowed" to decline? (Very strange I have to be told by a company what I will be allowed to do in my own home, but I digress).  I currently have a minimum age requirement now. We have a large house in a quiet neighborhood, and have huge respect for our neighbors.  Does anyone know how this will work out? I haven't seen anything on minimum age requirements. 

50 Replies 50
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is not exactly clear if Age comes into this, but if it does 18.

David

Yeah, I'm not trusting a $300,000 house to a bunch of 18 year olds. 

June104
Level 2
Nevada, United States

Legally u can’t discriminate based on age. I understand your concerns but that’s why you can ask for a deposit 

Under what laws? Federal antidiscrimination law doesn't apply to people under the age of 40. I live in California where state law is the same.

Nevermind. Answered my own question. Thanks!

I require that the primary renter be at least 27 years. Had my house trashed by a group of teenagers once. I will not let this happen again. If AirBnB has aproblem, I will just use Vrbo only.

This age discrimination GREATLY worries me.  We don't just have a room that we rent - we have an entire house in a quiet neighborhood. We have a minimum age of 25 years right now that seems to work well. I'm not renting to 18 year olds. 

@Linda275

I think you will have to open your door to 18 years old, cause if you decline them because of their age they may report your listing to Airbnb (age discrimination).

You stating this is discrimination. It is no differenet than saying "I'm not trusting people of a certain race into my house".

Chad - you must be kidding, right?  Even the Airbnb person who I talked to said she fully understood why I would not want to trust a bunch of kids in my house unchaperoned.  Age has to do with maturity.  I was a very responsible kid, and looking back I would not even trust myself with a stranger's house at 18 years of age.  

Presumably the AirBnB person confirmed the policy.

David

She said the legal team would be with me to "see what they could do" and she personally agreed that a bunch of 18 year olds were too young to rent a large property of that value unsupervised - not that she could do anything about it, but hopefully the legal team could. I understand where they are going with this, but there are too many unique situations for them to police in this manner. Such as a woman renting out one room in her house only to women, or the people with electrified fences not able to rent to children. The beauty of Airbnb is we all have unique homes. We are not a one-size-fits-all. 

The Community Commitment is one sized, there are a few exceptions and gender is one of them in a shared space.

David

Have you even read the policy? Because several of your examples are already okay such as a single woman renting out a room in her personal home IS allowed to decline men and vice versus