Airbnb/Booking.com hosts in Bratislava please be careful

Frederika5
Level 1
Bratislava, Slovakia

Airbnb/Booking.com hosts in Bratislava please be careful

Hi guys, I would like to reach out to the Airbnb community in Bratislava. I had a very unpleasant experience using Booking (I use both platforms Airbnb as well as Booking, I have started with Booking circa 3 months ago and after this experience I unlisted my property straight away). But back to the main point. I have been using lockbox/self-check in for approximately 3 months as I find it very practical for both, me as well as the guests as it gives me extra flexibility re check-in. My apartment was booked via Booking for one night. I placed the keys into the lockbox and sent all the details to the guest. The next next morning when I came to the apartment it was burgled. Apart from heavy furniture the culprits stole literally everything (including cutlery, bed linen, towels, lightbulbs, showerhead, etc.). The culprits did not break into the apartment, they used the keys. BTW they also stole the lockbox and the keys from the apartment. The guest who booked the apartment via Booking.com told the police that he got drunk and slept in a nearby hotel (he presented a receipt from the hotel to the police). I genuinely think that if it was not the guest himself he must have given the details re the code from the lockbox etc to his accomplices (N.B. I change the code after every single guest and never leave the keys in the lockbox unless the apartment is booked (especially not over night!)). The police said that this is not the first case in the Old Town (Bratislava) they are investigating. The culprits mainly focus on the apartments with self check-in and use fake or a real profiles (in my case it was a real profile) on Airbnb/Booking.com to get into the apartments. Therefore, folks hosting in Bratislava please be careful. BTW the customer service of Booking.com is a disgrace. No support what so ever. I will never list my property via Booking.com again. Best, Frederika

1 Reply 1

@Frederika5   This has been known to happen on Airbnb too - I wouldn't say it's a safer platform when it comes to the burglary risk.

I notice that both of your listings are available for stays of only one night. That means that a random stranger from the internet only needs to have €55 on their payment method to get complete unsupervised access to your homes and all their contents.  If it's not an option for you to show up in person to check in guests and collect their ID details, you might consider increasing your minimum stay to 3 or more nights as an added security measure. At least the next time someone runs off with your appliances, they'll have paid more for them.