Bad review

Kahri0
Level 1
New York, NY

Bad review

Hi, last summer, I rented my place out to two girls for the summer. When I got back, the place was totally totalled. I took some pictures but they didn't do the place justice and I was in a state of shock anyway for a few days so I couldn't claim a security deposit. In any event, it was my first time using AirBNB, and a very long time to be a "host" having never done it before. Anyway, I find out later that they write an absolutely terrible review of their time there! I actually wrote an okay review of the person who wrote me a bad review. Then, I try to craft together a response not knowing that AirBNB reviews are permanent! So I'm stuck with these bad reviews and although there have been a few satisfied tenants since then, they didn't write reviews. So I don't know what to do now or how to handle this--I've attempted to tweak the pricing but my concern is that I won't be able to get the kind of traffic I'd like now since I froze out my account for a few months toward the beginning of the year

Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2
Mz1
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

It's been my experience that bad guests leave bad reviews. I'm dealing with it myself. I have now had three bad guests who have significantly lowered my rating. One, broke my front while she was drunk. One smelled so poorly that I had to actually disguard my airmattress, costing me over $200 to replace the bed, more than my deposit, and the last one was left dirty dishes daily that I washed and she complained that my place was dirty. 

It's best to be proactive, take photos and not be afriad to use the resolution center, but over all it's a nightmare. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hate to say it, but as you know, you did all of the wrong things - didnt do anything within the timescales, didn't comment publicly on their review of you, and you even wrote them an ok review...etc...

So there is no warning to other hosts about this guest.

Not a lot you can do - I doubt AirBnB would even investigate at this point in time as you have left it so late to even query their review of you.

Perhaps drop you price a bit and get some bookings through and good reviews - the others quickly disappear.