Botched refund

Kim2443
Level 2
Wilmington, MA

Botched refund

I have opened a case with airbnb but I just wanted to get others’ opinions on this series of mishaps that has led to me having this large negative amount put against my hosting:

sept 2019 I had a gentlemen book a 3 month stay on the off season for our condo. It was listed at $102/night. He checks in, everything is great, 1st payment received.  A few weeks go by and he asks if he can leave the reservation early due to needing to be with a gravely ill loved one.  I said yes, and agreed with airbnb to terminate the rest of the reservation.  2nd payment is due soon. Prior to the 2nd payment posting I was editing my listing and pricing for the peak months ( we had just started hosting so I was unfamiliar and the peak season was set to a low nightly rate) and I changed my listing to be $200/night and it altered the price for the rest of his reservation as well!  So when the second payment comes through it is for too much!  I call airbnb to explain- took 3 calls and many minutes on hold. I tell them, you need to refund him $2200. They agree and we hang up.  Fast forward to now, july 2020.  We are fortunate to be hosting during covid and I am wondering why after 2 guests have stayed for the first two weeks of july, why I am not getting any payout emails.  They show as pending, but so does a negative amount of -$4777.00!  I gasp!  What is this?!?  It is from the gentleman who had to cancel the reservation early! And then below that is a positive for the same person for $970 which was never deposited to my bank account!  So long story short I am trying to get airbnb to see that they now owe me $2557! What are my chances that this gets resolved favorably? I am beside myself and the rest of the season is booked through labor day and I have no idea what to do- thats a lot of money they have kept! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Its so frustrating to just get routed to a call center, have them “take notes” and wait for the appropriate team to review my case. 

9 Replies 9
Maya417
Level 1
Prague, Czech Republic

dear all

something is wrong on Airbnb...!! We didn't receive any HOST SUPPORT 25% for all cancelled eligible reservations from Airbnb and we replay several times from 18.06.2020 to asking whats happening with all payout money for May...

BUT.. THEY NEVER REPLAY...

Do you believe that??

the name is there.... HOST SUPPORT... and they are not able to answer..

incredible...

I believe they have some real trouble actually..or some people !!!! take all the payouts on their pockets..

They use the due for their interest..

Thomas2116
Level 2
Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Germany

@Kim2443 I have a very similar issue! Early July, a guest cancels his booking last minute and is asking for a full refund. I felt bad for him and accepted a full refund. Airbnb contacts me and asks me if I truly accept a full refund because then I wouldn’t receive a payout once his check in date arrives. I say yes. Fast forward to last week. A new guest arrives and checks in. I receive a fraction of his actual payout. I wonder why and look at my transaction history. Turns out, Airbnb deducted the full amount of the cancelled booking of early July from this new booking although I agreed to a full refund and never received a payout!!!!! They now owe me over 1,700€! No answer from Airbnb for a week. I used this community for help too. Still waiting to receive my money! Customer service seems to work only for guests not for hosts

@Thomas2116  has your issue been resolved yet from airbnb?  I just got a support person via the app looking to help, and then all they say is they are escalating to the correct department and rest assured they are looking into this.....  ugh madness!

Thomas2116
Level 2

@Kim2443 no answer at all. Still waiting. They tell me the exact same. It really is madness 

Going on week 2 and still waiting for airbnb to even acknowledge my case!  What is going on with them?????

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

To be honest, this is why I would always direct a guest to work out a refund with airbnb directly, but their whole system seems to be an absolute mess right now, understaffed and the latest change to the site is insanely bad and full of glitches.  Persistence is all I can recommend. 

Thomas2116
Level 2

@Mark116 yes that’s exact what I did. I let the guest handle the refund with Airbnb. He was refunded by Airbnb but then Airbnb decides to take / deduct the same amount of money from my next booking again. I absolutely agree with you: they are very understaffed and the new website changes are terrible! 

Evelyn-Or-Rich0
Level 1
Stgo, Dominican Republic

There is no support for us, someone was in my apartment, consumed electricity, was on a stay of 17, we always kept in touch and 10 days later he wrote me airbnb requesting a refund because she could not use hot water, when I explained to her myself everything how to use it

Kim2443
Level 2
Wilmington, MA

This is the response I finally get when a case manager is involved.... accusatory right away saying I authorized this amount.  I had to reply- let me stop you right there Kristel, I did NOT authorize this amount and was lied to over the phone when I provides the correct math that indeed the amount I had come up with is what would have been refunded. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]