Breaking House Rules - Eating In Room

Walter50
Level 1
North Little Rock, AR

Breaking House Rules - Eating In Room

My guest violated a rule I have in my house rules about eating in the room twice.  He claimed he never saw it until the second time when I finally pointed out again it was in the house rules section of my listing.  Does anyone know if AirBNB has a policy about guests presumptions as the guest read the rules prior to booking?  Is there a way to make these rules better known prior to a guest booking? Also, how do you deal with a guest who have violated the rules? I am relatively new at this.

5 Replies 5

The guests have to agree that they've read the rules at the time of booking.  "I didn't see it" is on them.  They agreed when booking to the rules.  After 2 times breaking the rules, you have the right to have the guest rehoused, however, you MUST contact Airbnb about this and they will try to convince you to work it out with the guest.  There is no good way to do this (as witnessed by hundreds of posts). The only clear thing is to make it available over and over and by reiterating it when the guests check in. 

Have to admit that I love that you've cut and paste some of my own house rules as your own 🙂 

Your house rules are very detailed and cover situations I did not think of.  Also, I like the format of your rules.  Thank you for replying and also writing the detailed rules the way you did.  It helped me out immensly.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Walter50 Hi...guests dont read your house rules. You need to figure out what the really important ones are to you and when people check in mention those 3 or 4 in particular. Usually it's things like locking the door, taking off shoes, etc.

Many guests just assume that as they don;t have use of the kitchen etc they can eat in their room.

Personally it;'s not a reason for getting AirBnB involved, it;'s not a reason for a bad review etc - unless the guest then continues to break the rule.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you show your guests around do you reinforce your house rules? Do you leave a copy of your house rules in guest's rooms?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I always think the rules are there to protect you if something goes wrong, my assumption is that it would be a rare situation where someone read them and remembered them.

David