Brutal First Experience as Host

Sam3523
Level 1
Toronto, CA

Brutal First Experience as Host

I was going away for a weekend and thought I'd give it a try and Host my Apartment on AirBnb, and about a week before that weekend I listed it and got a request from a Guest. Being new to the Hosting side, I thought I did my research and while was skeptical of Hosting a Guest fairly new to AirBnb (May 2018) with No Reviews (but Verified), based on research and feedback from other people, I had to start somewhere because it's my first time and I don't have any Reviews either. And so I did.

I did all the research of the Guest once I Confirmed and get her full name but couldn't find much online about her, other than she is who she says she is and where she's from and what she does, a recognized Student from one of her Schools and her Community and a Social Worker.

On the day of the check-in, I met up with her and walked her around the building to show all the amenities, the check-out process and walked her up to the apartment and left.

While I was still skeptical based on her background (not to be prejudicial or racist, far from it), I always think that no matter where people come from they think like myself, a responsible adult who take care of someone else's space (I tuck things away even when I stay at hotels upon checking-out).
She first said that she'll be driving from out of town and meeting with a friend who lives here to spend the weekend and go to a basketball game, but when I met her outside she said she was dropped off! Then upon leaving she texts and asks how does she get to the parkade (I knew she was with someone but didn't want to tell me and incur charges for additional guests). And after a few hours, a guy buzzes me from the front entrance to let him in and upon knowing that I could hear him, he hung up (I'm sure she came down and let him, or any other people in, knowing I'm already on the way out of town). I expected that she was with someone and decided to be lenient as often times we have friends who we invite over and can't really enforce it.

I had one more contact with her politely asking what the WiFi Password is and if she can use it and gladly gave it to her.

Over the weekend, I messaged her once more to see how she's enjoying the stay but didn't hear from her and decided not to be a pest.

She checked-in on Friday upon my leaving and was supposed to check out on Monday at noon but I have no idea when she checked out as I didn't make it home until Tuesday morning at around 7AM (which I didn't mind if she stayed a little longer on Monday since I wasn't going to be there).

Upon getting back, with a terrible feeling, the worst of what I thought has happened. The door was left unlocked, I walked in as I walked into the worst smelling public bathroom, all lights left on, heat blasting, garbage bags full of puke, leftover food and alcohol and mix bottles, bathroom door open with a clogged toilet full of puke, urine and sh!t overflowing into the bathroom floor and carpets (just disgusting), the key and fob were left on the kitchen table (not where the mailbox as directed), there's hair and pieces of garbage all over the floor, evidence of footsteps of shoes inside (despite clear direction of no shoes inside, I even left two pairs of slippers for use inside), spilled red wine all over the carpet in front of a high end broken couch, broken glass and food left all over the kitchen appliances, counter and floor, another bag in the kitchen full of garbage and actual dishes thrown away  (never mind like asked to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher), smell and ashes of smoke inside and by the window (depsite strict non-smoking directions). Big mess left in the bedroom, with food all over the bed (and also couch), despite directions of no such thing in the furniture. Used all of my juices and some of the food in the fridge (despite advising her to not do it). And later found out that she (or any other people she had over) stole some of my clothes as well. Just the worst nightmare for a super clean and tidy person.

Anyways, I recorded everything upon walking in as proof and tried to contact her immediately, but obviously no response back. Asked for my stolen stuff back, no response either. I threatened her that I will involve law enforcement, no response back either.
AirBnb has been involved right away, a Case/Ticket was opened and proof of videos of everything from my end has been provided. but apart from advising me to attempt the Resolution Centre with the Guest (which she hasn't been responding) or Requesting money from her (which I doubt she will respond to either), I don't know what else to do!

As this is my only residence, I had to take matters on my hands and not let the situation get out of control and started cleaning and fixing things right away, knowing that AirBnb would probably ask for proof of cleaning and fixing expenses but how do you get that in a big busy city where you have to wait for days to get someone to clean your property, never mind that nothing is even guaranteed for re-imbursement from either party anyway.

Any direction or help from anyone that has dealt with my situation before (on what usually happens or my next steps) would be greatly appreciated.

0 Replies 0