Building Management Doesn't Allow Airbnbs and Listing is Most Likely a Scam but Airbnb Won't Refund Me

Answered!
Danny432
Level 2
New York, United States

Building Management Doesn't Allow Airbnbs and Listing is Most Likely a Scam but Airbnb Won't Refund Me

Booked an Airbnb with a friend for next month that, upon doing some research, seems super shady. After we booked, we were told by the hosts in the House Manual not to speak with neighbors or open the door for superintendents, management, or cops. Reached out to building management and turns out that not only is Airbnb banned in the building, but the apartment we would be staying in currently has no tenant and nobody with the host's name ever lived in that apartment. Management also said the listing is fraudulent and I should notify Airbnb and try to get my money back as we won't be allowed to move in. Spoke to Airbnb support about this and they basically said there's not much they can do because Airbnb doesn't deal with landlord/tenant disputes as a 3rd party, and so I probably won't get a refund. What are my options here? 

1 Best Answer

You're welcome @Danny432. If you drop those links into your communications with Customer Service, explain to them that your situation is exactly the same as several of those being described in the articles, and leave them in no doubt that you'll be taking your story to the media and the authorities too if you don't get refunded asap, then I shouldn't imagine they'll be too slow about returning your money. Airbnb need another scamming story breaking now, like they need a hole in the head. But if all else fails, by all means, take it to small claims. Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed reply — really appreciate this. Do you think legal action could potentially work here (ie. small claims court)?

You're welcome @Danny432. If you drop those links into your communications with Customer Service, explain to them that your situation is exactly the same as several of those being described in the articles, and leave them in no doubt that you'll be taking your story to the media and the authorities too if you don't get refunded asap, then I shouldn't imagine they'll be too slow about returning your money. Airbnb need another scamming story breaking now, like they need a hole in the head. But if all else fails, by all means, take it to small claims. Good luck.

DAK-Design-and-Home0
Level 3
Montreal, Canada

You should appeal it with Airbnb based on the fact that technically the Airbnb never existed in the first p'ace. And report the host asap

David