Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Stan1
Level 2
Fremont, California, United States

Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Hi guys,

I love Airbnb and have been recently looking for a nice holiday listing in Tokyo. In the past, I have just assumed the price is firm but I have heard that it is possible to negotiate these prices, especially if you're staying a bit longer than the weekend or so.

Do you guys have any tips/tricks to bring this up to a perspective host? Thanks for your feedback!

161 Replies 161

@David7573  Hosts list their properties for rates which they feel they need to charge to make their business worthwhile. That price may vary according to demand ( busy holiday times, major events in their location) when they can command a higher price. They may lower the price for slow times or to try to fill empty dates. Listings are also priced according to what a comparable place in their area goes for.

In other words, hosts don't just pull a price out of their hats- it is based on the same business principles that other businesses are. And hosts want to have guests book, so they aren't going to have a price that's unreasonable.

There are many hidden costs to running a short term rental which guests never consider. New sheets and towels have to be purchased on a regular basis, guests run up outrageous utility bills by turning the heat up and leaving the windows open, or going out all day leaving all the lights on and the heat or AC turned way up. Guests damage or break things that are considered normal wear and tear but have to be repaired or replaced. Cleaning supplies and implements must be bought. All these things have to factored into the listing price.

A guest's budget isn't any of a host's affair, anymore than the host's finances are any of a guest's business. 

If I can't afford the fancy brand name expensive jeans, I buy what I can afford, not try to bargain with the sales clerk. If I can't afford to fly first class, I have to book economy, not try to get the airline to give me first class seat for the price of economy.

Not only do most hosts find it insulting when a guest tries to bargain, because they are essentially saying "I don't think it's worth that", even though they have never stepped foot in it, it comes across as a sense of entitlement-"I should be able to have the place that most appeals to me at what I can afford".

And the experience of many, if not most hosts who have reported on this indicates that guests who ask for discounts carry that sense of entitlement into their actual stay-"Why should I have to wash my dirty dishes (take out the garbage, clean the greasy stove top, etc), when I paid a cleaning fee?"

There are certainly discount requests which don't come from either devaluing a host's listing nor a sense of entitlement- many guests may come from cultures where not trying to get the "best price" for just about anything is considered foolish. My experience with that is in those places, prices are usually higher than what the seller expects to get, because they assume that everyone will bargain. So some guests may be quite unaware that in other cultures discount requests are not something everyone expects.

Mollie-Pack-LLC0
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

We have an executive $2 million LUXURY mountain home in one of the most prestigious area of smokies. Accommodates 10 people in fine luxury. We have it listed for $900 a night and it gets booked quite well. The very first line of our descriptions says it’s not the place if you are looking for discounts. Nonetheless, two days ago a guest asked me to accept a total  $900 out the door price for four days (see below)

, 3 families - the $900 “out the door” was to include Airbnb fees , cleaning ($300) and taxes . Lodging tax is 12.5 %. So basically I would be left with about  $375 . He was asking this for the spring break weekend which is in high demand and still a month away and  made it a point to let me know that I won’t be able to book. While he sent me this message , a couple booked our two bedroom home - (different property, half a mile away) for $350 a night for the exact same dates. I pointed that out to him and you gotta see the rude response I got. And then a few hours later , our  luxury home got booked by a family on VRBO for the full asking price for 6 nights that included all his dates.  I sent him a message to let him know that the place was booked at full price.

I felt very resentful about this ... we are super hosts with over 150 reviews. So, my question to other hosts here : would this request have offended you?

Here is the first message :

We really would love to come stay Apr 8-11 and it looks like we just squeeze in there and you have bookings all around those dates. Since it’s just short notice and those dates may be hard to fill would you accept $900 total for our dates. We are 3 adult families and would come take really great care of your place. We can pay in full today

My response :

Hello XXXX: you are asking for 900 total for all three nights ,  at $300 per night , correct ?

His response :

I have verified by id on Air BNB and uploaded all information that was asked. Not sure how long it takes them to verify.  Yes im asking at $300 a night for a total out the door price of $900. We are 6 guest all couples, my couple is 33 years old, other couple is 39 years old and final couple is 55 years old so we are looking for a relaxing weekend. Please let me know if you can work this out as we can pay today. Thanks

@Mollie-Pack-LLC0  I'm not sure why you would feel "resentful". This is just a clueless, entitled person who has no concept of why his request is ludicrous. I'd have been tempted to send him a line of ROTFL emojis and "You've got to be kidding", followed by a swift click on Decline.

I definitely wouldn't have bothered to send him info about my places getting booked at $XX.

You have a great point. There is no point rationalizing with clueless people . It was indeed a waste of time. Further conversations with this guest just deteriorated in quality and I let

him have it - hopefully won’t bother any other host in the future with stupid requests. 

@Mollie-Pack-LLC0  "hopefully won’t bother any other host in the future with stupid requests. "

Hopefully not, and it was good of you to try to make him see why his request was absurd. But he'll probably try it again- someone who doesn't see a problem with trying to knock the price down 66%, so they're paying $50/night per person for a luxury accommodation, probably just thinks you're a b***h. 🙂

After looking at your listings, what is considered “luxury” and “executive” in the smokies seems to be very different than what is considered luxury and executive in NY. I wonder if that’s part of the problem - People from other areas may be looking at the home and thinking it’s a regular home and not realizing you consider it luxury. I wouldn’t have guessed that was luxury either.

@Ryan2351 

We know what fits the category of luxury and what doesn’t. We have been very successful in our ventures, Why  don’t you focus on stuff that you actually have some knowledge? Staying in the same condo unit over and over again doesn’t make you an expert host. You are basically a guest . Good luck 

Ryan2351
Level 1
Rochester, NY

As a landlord myself (long-term), I am certainly surprised that so many hosts find the request of a discount to be disrespectful or rude. I almost never give discounts on rent, but I don’t consider it rude if someone asks. I politely say “Sorry but the price is firm” and leave it at that. Entitlement seems to be going both ways in this thread.

Janice451
Level 1
Oakville, Canada

Does AirBnB allow such discounts?

I’m astounded at the attitudes of so many hosts, that they’re “offended”, or “they don’t need our business” or telling people they should “go to Motel 6”. I use AARP, Government/Military rates, my corporate discount or whatever other savings I may have at my disposal when available. It’s kind of appealing to read the comments of these hosts in what I would still consider a hospitality industry. Wow. If someone is asking for a discount just share your policy or breakpoints on offering such a discount. The arrogance and tactlessness of some of these responses would immediately send me off. There is nothing wrong with attempting to negotiate in business… remember that many that can actually pay you are the ones you’re getting an attitude with… we watch our pennies so our dollars can take care of themselves thank you very much. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kiley11,

I watch my money too, but I don't ask others to pay for/supplement things that I want, but can't afford.  Many of the inquiries that I receive that ask for a negotiated price often contain statements like, "Oh, I think your place is lovely, but I can only afford it.  Would you be willing to take $XX (this amount is usually extremely lower than the already published discounted rate)?", or "I've been looking for a place, and none of the others that I've seen are as nice as your place.  Would you be willing to take $XX, because I am going to be staying for XX long?".

This type of wording I can understand your turn off, and your discretion to refuse. My point was simply the attitudes of so many stating they’re offended or people can’t afford them or they should go to Motel 6. It’s a business transaction and I don’t consider it rude or inappropriate to ask your policies or breakpoints for a discount if you don’t disclose them. 

@Debra300 

Remember, as a host : you have a lot at stake - your money, time and your property, mortgage , financial and business reputation . If your business goes belly up - no guest is going to rescue you. At that point a discount guest will definitely not help you ! 

as stated by @kiley11 above, “we watch the pennies so the dollars will take care of itself”- as a host you should definitely watch every penny of yours -as you are the one taking the most financial risk. If you lose you ability to host because your business suffered from a bad guest experience / review (common with discount guests - FYI) , you will suffer the most along with collateral damage as many future guest who could have booked your property won’t be able to stay, AIRBNB loses its commission as well. 

So watch YOUR  dollars  : not your guests pennies ! Treat your guests well, give them a great experience: BUT NOT A DISCOUNT . Business is business !

No, nothing wrong with asking for a discount. I've been asked for discounts at least 15 or 20 times, and in most cases I've given it. It's not offensive at all. What is offensive is the bulk send folks who fire off a canned inquiry to 2 dozen hosts asking for a discount. And then when all those hosts take the time to reply with an offer, the guest doesn't bother replying to those who didn't meet their needs. That's a published tactic by Airbnb 'pros' and it happens a lot, at least it has to me. For the first half dozen or so, I replied with reasonable discounts and got zero replies. I'm assuming they snagged a better offer and didn't feel the need to reply to the rest of us. That my friend is arrogance and tactlessness. And their MO is easily recognized ("My boyfriend and I are professionals looking for a place for 2 weeks while we work... blah blah blah... Would you consider offering us a discount?"). Now I just tell them thanks for inquiring and that they should try the motel in town 5 miles down the road. I'd rather not host inconsiderate pestadors.

@Haider1 
Kudos and awesome response .