Certificate/license/permit for San Diego

Stella477
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Certificate/license/permit for San Diego

Hi,

I am preparing to become a host in San Diego and intend to rent out to visitors for less than 30 days at a time.

Thus far, I have the Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate and Business Tax Certificate.

I understand that Airbnb will collect the San Diego Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and remit to tax authority for my behalf.

Is there any other certificate/license/permit for San Diego Airbnb hosting that I need to obtain?

Would greatly appreciate your response.

4 Replies 4
Pete2925
Level 2
San Diego, CA

not much assistance....i too am in san diego and now am receiving a brand new notice to purchase a permit for "rental unit business tax "

Brian2351
Level 1
Del Mar, CA

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of purchasing in the county but not in the city of San Diego. Am I correct that the new STRO does not apply outside of the city? Also, what permits do I need to get before listing my new county property?

Thanks!

Brian

Amy2389
Level 2
California, United States

My understanding is there are three certificates/tax:

1. TOT - hosts need to apply and retain record of the certificate and taxes paid. However Airbnb collects and remits the tax on hosts behalf. STR only.

2. Business license - STR and LTR

3. Rental unit business tax - assessed on anyone who rents units (STR or LTR) 

I am also new here so if there are any experienced hosts, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Eliot32
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I started to rent one of the rooms in my home via airbnb. What should I do now? Please let me know, the airbnb app is collecting taxes on my rentals, do they report to city? Are they paying the city? or Do I have to pay the city directly? Are those taxes for the city of San Diego, for the state of California or for the IRS? Thanks!