Cleaning fees

Answered!
JoJo35
Level 2
Pinellas Park, FL

Cleaning fees

I have a guest asking me if I can reduce my cleaning fee of $50.  They promise to leave the place spotless.  Honestly, I dont feel like doing that but my question is would that be something that comes up.  Im new at this and I have guests already.  Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@JoJo35 I would say no and wish them well finding an accommodation that meets their requirements. And no, this is not something that comes up frequently.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@JoJo35   I see the cleaning fee as the set up, not the clean up.  Maybe other hosts will see it differently.  You never want the guest clean up to be sufficient for the next guest.  This is a guest seeking a discount.  Many host feels that guests seeking discounts are usually problematic.  If you are inclined to provide a discount, then offer a special offer and keep your cleaning fee.  

Yes I kept the fee and made a special offer which she declined anyway.  Thank you for your feedback, Im new about a month in and I value the opinions of more experienced hosts.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@JoJo35 I would say no and wish them well finding an accommodation that meets their requirements. And no, this is not something that comes up frequently.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hey @JoJo35 .  Your nightly rate is only $24.00 per night.  I doubt anyone could find a hotel or motel room for that rate.  Your cleaning fee is very reasonable.   I say stick with your cleaning fee and increase your nightly rates.  As stated before, guests asking for discounts are usually  very demanding and hard to please.  The perfect storm for a bad review.

Thank you,  I did reply back and kept the fee and sent a special offer which they declined anyway.  Yes I feltthe same way, my rate is more than reasonable.  Thank you much

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@JoJo35 

never ever agree to any discounts .. Those are the worst guests.

JoJo35
Level 2
Pinellas Park, FL

LOL, thank you, I didnt do it.  I sent a special offer and she declined it.  I did not or will not discount the cleaning fee.  Thank you for your feedback, Im new and it helps having all you experienced hosts around.

JoJo

Several of you have said not to agree to discounts when the guest asks because it ends up in a bad review. Can I ask why? Also, what discounts do you refuse? I had several people hit me at once when my booking published, all wanting to be included in the 20% discount for being one of the first 3 to book. What other discounts do people ask for?

@Beth394  When a guest asks for a discount, they are asking for you to make a special exception for them. This type of guest usually ends up acting entitled in other ways as well. Many hosts have found themselves bending over backwards to try to accomodate these types of guests, which the guests don't appreciate- they feel they "deserve" special treatment, and usually they will never be satisfied. Therefore, even when you try to make sure they are pleased, nothing will ever be good enough for them, so they leave bad reviews anyway. They're just complainers by nature.

Hosts price their listings taking into account the going rate in their area for what is provided, how many guests they can accommodate, what amenities they provide, etc. It's not just a number pulled out of a hat. So when a guest asks for a discount, they are basically disrespecting you and your listing. The 20% discount is used by some hosts to get the first guests and a few reviews under their belt, after that, you should stick to your listing price and all your other fees. There's no reason for you to be concerned about your guests' travel budget or finances. There are plenty of listings out there for all price ranges. I'm sure these people don't go into a restaurant or Starbucks and request a discount.

Thanks! That makes sense. I will be watchful for those guests. 

@Beth394 Bargain hunters are normally more pickier than othe guests from my experience. They ask for their favor while don't give favor to others.

A guest can ask any discounts which are not listed on your price. They know that you can make change of the nightly rate and they know that you could send them special offers, which is lower than your listing price. For example, a recent inquiry from a guest indicated t hat her budget is $1600 per month and she asked me to make a special offer to her so that the total charged including the Airbnb service fee, cleaning fee etc to be $1600 per month. 

Good to know. I'm glad I'm finding this out before I get too many of these requests.