Cockroach infestation, what should I do?

Answered!
Julien89
Level 2
Paris, France

Cockroach infestation, what should I do?

Hi everyone,

Rented for one night a garden studio in Sydney. The place didn't look very clean and to my horror at 2am awaken by a natural urge I found the kitchen infested by cockroaches. I killed 5 of them and spent the rest of the night all lights on waiting for the dawn. Cockroaches are my worst nightmare as in Orwell's room 101.

What should I do? My host is a nice welcoming person but there is no way on earth I could recommend this place.

Cheers,

Julien

1 Best Answer

Tell it like it is, without the emotion.  Review it that you found bugs in the kitchen which was disturbing and uncomfortable for you.  Then privately tell the host about the cockroaches so they can address the situation directly.  If other guests experience the bugs, this is an ongoing problem which could result in the host being delisted - which would be for the best. 

An FYI - not all cockroaches are created equal. Oriental ones, likely the kind you found in the kitchen, are attracted to filthy conditions and food. However, in the US South we have "palmetto bugs" which are large, black and frightening Wood cockroaches.  They eat micro-organisms like mold.  They typically live in the walls between the exterior and interior where it's warm and moist, which is why they get so big.  Sometimes they find their way inside, but they aren't there because of filthy conditions, more likely seeking out moisture.  We get sprayed for bugs at least 6 times a year and still we get one or two inside. Unfortunately, sometimes bugs just "happen".    

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

Tell it like it is, without the emotion.  Review it that you found bugs in the kitchen which was disturbing and uncomfortable for you.  Then privately tell the host about the cockroaches so they can address the situation directly.  If other guests experience the bugs, this is an ongoing problem which could result in the host being delisted - which would be for the best. 

An FYI - not all cockroaches are created equal. Oriental ones, likely the kind you found in the kitchen, are attracted to filthy conditions and food. However, in the US South we have "palmetto bugs" which are large, black and frightening Wood cockroaches.  They eat micro-organisms like mold.  They typically live in the walls between the exterior and interior where it's warm and moist, which is why they get so big.  Sometimes they find their way inside, but they aren't there because of filthy conditions, more likely seeking out moisture.  We get sprayed for bugs at least 6 times a year and still we get one or two inside. Unfortunately, sometimes bugs just "happen".    

Hi Alice and Jeff,

Many thanks for your fast and helpful reply. I'll follow your advice. In the mean time another one of these disgusting creatures entered the bedroom flying (!!!) and it landed on the wall. Unfortunately I missed it and it crawled under the bed, ruining my last hope to get some rest. I didn't know about the oriental kind, of which these are I am pretty sure.

Kind regards,

Julien

I forgot to mention I found 2 tupperware-like boxes under the bed with holes in them and filled with dead roaches. Which means my host does know about the problem.

Regards,

Julien

Oh that is disgusting.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Yuck!  Like the person above me posted, definitely call it out in the review in a brief, factual way.  And let the host know ASAP so they can *hopefully* correct the problem.

Thanks Cynthia and Chris,

I'll follow this advice. As mentioned in another post I am certain my host knows about the issue.

Cheers,

Julien

Shriek like a little girl, run, run, run!!!  Nothing worse than buuuggs!!!

I would give a review as much positive as possible.  Then at the very end state:  "It was unfortunate that there were cockroaches in the kitchen (I only saw them late at night when I turned on the light after the room was dark for a few hours)  but I informed my host and hope that this situation will be soon corrected."

Your host needs to use Integrated Pest Management.  That consists of several different approaches all at the same time so that you are killing, repelling and preventing the cockroaches with baits, traps, non toxic inert powders such as borate salt, pheromones, IGR/IGH (hormones prevent development of young bugs)  etc.    If you attack the bugs in more than one way their populations will decrease over time. 

Thanks for the reply even if I could have made do without the irony, you weren't there and my question was not about dealing with the roaches, which I did, thank you, but about dealing with the recommendation or absence thereof. I spoke with a local friend who was appalled by the infestation. I hope for the newcomers the hosts will implement the IPM!

I had a similar event. Airbnb took weeks to address and offer a useless solution like some fraction of a refund after host refused to accept change request.  I think Airbnb needs to take some ownership here and simply say a host can not be rated higher than two stars if there are documented roaches.  Any Business worth is brand name has quality standards, and in this case, roach free would be the minimal quality level.  

Airbnb took weeks to address and offer a useless solution like some fraction of a refund after host refused to accept change request.  I think Airbnb needs to take some ownership here and simply say a host can not be rated higher than two stars if there are documented roaches.  Any Business worth is brand name has quality standards, and in this case, roach free would be the minimal quality level.  

I think Airbnb needs to take some ownership here and simply say a host can not be rated higher than two stars if there are documented roaches.  Any Business worth is brand name has quality standards, and in this case, roach free would be the minimal quality level.  

Any Business worth is brand name has quality standards, and in this case, roach free would be the minimal quality level.  

I think Airbnb needs to take some ownership here and simply say a host can not be rated higher than two stars if there are documented roaches.  Any Business worth is brand name has quality standards, and in this case, roach free would be the minimal quality level.  

Any Business worth is brand name has quality standards, and in this case, roach free would be the minimal quality level.  

I did enjoy the fact that the case a manager closed my ticket when I noted the word "CDC" (Centers for Disease Control) when I stated I did not accept their weak resolution.

I think your approach is extreme and as another pointed out, totally area-dependant. Living in the south, especially near water, means roaches enter the home. In the case of the roaches found here in the south, it doesn't have to have anything to do with filth yet everything to do with the environment. It's not a fair approach to suggest hosts should have an automatic 2 star rating when we can't control the weather. Small bugs find small openings. 

However, it is the host's responsibility to take an integrated approach to dealing with these pests in a swift, serious manner. Furthermore, the host probably should go out of their way to make an accommodation for the guests to ensure their comfort and happiness. 

Alejandra132
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi! Unforunatelly the same happened to me a few weeks ago in Paris, the apartment was full of roaches and very dirty, of course we wanted to move form there but it was the Paris Fashion Week every "decent" place was taken... and this apartment was booked months in advance... airbnb did nothing about this! They say they were "impartial" but my refund was of the 19%. I have pictures and videos of what we suffer... but of course it wasn't enough. They simply protect the hosts... now you can check that with my review the apartment STILL has more than 4 stars rating... it is a shame:

https://www.airbnb.com.ar/rooms/9593047

Airbnb team is so arrogant that they say that there is nothing they can do for me and close the case... I'll never try an airbnb again because if something happens you are completely unprotected. My recomendation: go for booking or expedia they are serious brands and care about their customers airbnb doesn't care at all about your bad experience and protect bad hosts.

This is the charming property and attached some pictures of what we found...IMG_1649.JPGIMG_4880.JPGIMG_4967.JPGIMG_8389 (1).JPGIMG_8342.JPGIMG_4882.JPG

Hi,

Simply unacceptable, you should get a refund. AirBnB granted me a 50USD voucher for the inconvenience. Also the flat owner should be warned and his flat suspended until improvement with the sanitary conditions has been ensured.

Good luck,

Regards,

Julien

Montpellier France not tropical climates Not acceptable to be woken up by a coakroach when  you pay over 50 euros a night. I am not staying in a squat, I m not campsite so NO 

Hi there! 

Killed 65 one by one 4 days ago!

Owner promised 2 days refund and only refunded 1 day (not received money yet just the notice) !

We spoted one coming out from a cupboard part or the wall in the living room and after killing it we sprayed the area. Gradually 65 came out in the next 2,5 hours. I have pictures including 60 of them ( we cleaned out the firt 5 as we did not expect the 60 would follow). All sizes babies and huge ones. I have a picture of my boyfriends shoe used to kill them - full of roach intestents. 

Owner is very polite but so was I after what I went through - and he promised 2 days refund and did not keep his promise. 

What should I do ?