Coronavirus fearful guest

Etoile1
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Coronavirus fearful guest

I have a guest who booked a month ago for a reservation that is supposed to happen in three weeks. The guest is in the US and so is my Airbnb. He is telling me he’s worried about traveling now and asking if he can postpone the trip. I have a strict cancellation policy. And I had planned to close down my Airbnb with the season’s end (winter) anyway, and won’t be able to offer an alternate stay as I’ll be closing up shop in mid-April. The question is, should I offer him a cancellation in which he’s fully refunded, or proceed with my cancellation policy that would still refund him 50%. I want to be understanding but there is no travel ban at this point, he’s not coming from or going to a critical geographical area, and I’m running a business. What would you do? Thanks for your input, Community! 

2 Replies 2

@Etoile1 It's up to you. It you want to give the refund as a courtesy or just to avoid any issue, that's fine. If you want to uphold your cancellation policy, that's fine as well. I suggest that you contact Airbnb to see if your listing is covered by their extenuating circumstances policy. If your listings are, then the guest contact Airbnb, and ask for a refund. The guest can be refunded in full outside of your policy if the guest is covered, so might as well give it to them.

Thanks for your insight and the information. I actually had a second cancellation today for a reservation this month citing the same reason. Yikes!