Damaged sheets.

Orla15
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Damaged sheets.

Dear all

I have an equiry on a stay I had in ireland with a host that has made me very upset. Like many irish women we have pale skin and wear fake tan. A host was very angry with a stain on the sheets due to fake tan and I apologised and she asked me for the full amount of brand new sheets after telling me these sheets were over a year old. I payed her 30 euro to buy replacement sheets or to pay for a laudry service to clean the stains professionally. Ikea have sheets for the size of this bed at 20 euro. while our stay was pleasant her tone was very threatening after the sheets, we heard, the bed was smaller than a standard double and found hairs in the shower floor so I rated her 4 stars however left all the negatives out of my review and gave all the positives of the place in my review.  I did not think 4 stars was an offensive score nor did i say anything offensive in my review. she responded saying we are the reason airbnb is a nightmare that we are dishonest as we didnt give her a 5 star rating and we should be ashamed of ourselves and wished she had reported us. Fake tan was not specified in the rules and no damage was intentional or a violation of any rules to wear it so would airbnb even have responded? we paid quite alot to stay for two nights and 30 euro was more than I should have given her as its far over the amount needed to have a sheet cleaned and this tan is water based and comes off my own sheets. does a four star review and having already compensated her for something a reason to give an insulting response to a review about someones character and if so can I report her due to this nasty response. we were very quiet guessed just staying in the county and broke none of the house rules. I dont feel it is fair to be insulted this way because I didnt give her a 5 star rating.   

12 Replies 12
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Orla15 you won't like this, but I'll speak my mind as I've had to deal with this many times when I had a B&B.

Stop the fake tan, pale skin is part your Irish heritage, I would be royaly naffed off with you for wrecking my bedding. Have a bit more respect for other peoples property.

WHAT AIRBNB TELLS THE GUESTS:           WHAT AIRBNB TELLS THE HOSTS

1 star                * terrible                                        1 star     * bad - will be suspended

2 star             ** bad                                              2 star    ** bad - will be suspended

3 star          *** good                                            3 star   *** bad - will be suspended

4 star        **** great                                            4 star  **** bad - will be suspended

5 star ***** excellent                                           5 star***** Pass - If your average drops below  4.7 stars your                                                                                                                      listing will be suspended.

@Orla15 your host is naturally upset at the 4-star rating, but yelling at you is not the right response.

If a guest gives a host a less than a 5-star rating, what the host needs to say to the guest is

"What do I need to fix so that the next guest will give me 5-stars?"

And then the host needs to do the fix.

@Jeff158 your chart is hilarious, and so very true.

I'm going to copy it.

Thank you @Matthew285 this response was helpful. The entire rating was not a 4 star rating we gave nine 5 stars and one 4 star based on the little issue we had unrelated to the bedding which was compensated and resolved. 

I felt her response was unprofessional and very aggressive towards us and that it wasnt the right response. 

@Orla15 I am sorry you had that unpleasant experience Orla, noone has the right to be aggressive about sheets or anything for that matter, its just bad business.  Embrace your ivory skin and keep in mind next time, the sub categories mean nothing its the final OVERALL experience that impacts us, the Hosts rating.  

@Jeff158 thanks for your response. I did understand her response to the tan and that is why I gave her compensation for it even though this specific tan is water based and doesnt stain sheets in anyway as Ive never even had to use additional detergent on my own bedding for this particular tan. We had respect for the place we stayed in and left the house exactly as it came bar needing to clean sheets which is standard of any guest.

But my point was is it okay to insult a guest on a response to 1 4 star mark when all the other factors were a 5 star rating due to one issue we had during our stay with a factor completely unrelated to the bedding. I felt it was unprofessional to call guests names in response to a review which was positive? we are also a young quiet couple that stayed and I felt that I was bullied due to my younger age and i dont think that is right. 

Hi Orla I have an Airbnb in Mayo and I have it in my house rules not to use fake tan because it is a pain to clean out of towels in particular.  That said I have never ever contacted anyone who broke my rules.  i am sure they didn't mean to and at the end of the day my towels and bedsheets are not going to last forever!  

You should not have had to compensate anyone for damage to a year old bedsheet.  i would suggest that woman should retire her bedding !

But it is true that anything less than five stars is punished by airbnb!  honestly they tell visitors one thing and us an other and they read the private feedback and starring too!

PS you should not have found hairs in your shower either!  

I am sorry you had a bad time after a nice holiday.  I alway appreciate people who leave the house as they found it even it they have dyed my towels!  🙂

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Oh Orla,

A bit of fake tan is nothing to coffee & other foods, makeup etc on linen but most come out with prep, cold or hot water if you know what it is and maybe a second wash. We now have flannels next to the basin for makeup removal.

We still have faint tar marks on the carpet from a young plumber who was unaware it was on his boots. It too will fade eventually but it is not as obvious as hair dye from earlier. We mention this in our letter of introduction. Beware new soft towels which a man complained left fluff on his face, he had to take another shower and dry himself with his own towel!

@Jeff158  I had to laugh, naffed, love it.  But your so right on both accounts, other peoples property and the entire rating system what the guests assume they are giving us and what it actually means to us.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

'royaly naffed off' - a beautiful turn of phrase, Jeff, and I shall resume using it with gay abandon. 

Shanna5
Level 3
Tucson, AZ

Hi ! Funny I just came here after having a group of young women guests leave 6 towels were just completely coated with orange dye - and three sheet sets. My cleaning woman worked an hour and a half pre-treating, spotting bleaching and washing the sheets and towels and pillowcases - I was surprised that it did come out of most of the white things, however this was hours  of extra work for her (at extra cost to me)  However, even after all that, one towel, one washcloth still had orange spots, and one gray sheet set (which I though would handle stains the best) was still left with big orange blotches - possibly because I could not use bleach. 

I will charge them for the extra housecleaning hours, and the ruined sheets. I won't charge the cost of a new replacement, since all items are only a year old, I will give them a little discount on the replacement.. 

I have the worst cleanliness and damage problems with new guests. People are used to trashing hotel towels and dont worry about staining sheets, but what I try to tell them is that airbnb costs less than equivalent hotels, and one reason is that you dont get daily maid service and you are responsible for being considerate of all furnishings. I think that if you want to wear spay tan, you should either bring your own sheets, or bring stain remover and wash sheets before leaving.. or warn the host, so that they can make the bed with sheets which already have some staining. 

Wil13
Level 2
Zoetermeer, Netherlands

As a host, this is why i let my guests bring their own sheets, because they take much better care for their own sheets, when it's not your own, subconciously you don't take good of it because you know someone else will clean it for you.

Cynthia346
Level 2
Midland, MI

I am a host and at the moment I am turning every penny I make from Airbnb back into things like sheets and towels and cell phone charging night stands etc.  I just purchased some 800 thread count $120 sheets and I am must admit that if someone destroyed them I would be more than miffed !  I did have a female bodybuilder stay here with her mother and they warned me that they were going to be applying  tanning and to leave my sheets off the bed .  I was not familiar with the product and insisted on leaving my beautiful white embroidered quilt ,  for their enjoyment. Well I have found brown spots on the carpet the quilt etc. even though she brought sheets she said she put over them .  The carpet cleaner charged me $190 for the whole house and spent quite a bit of time removing the stain in the bedroom . I think it’s hard for a guest to imagine what goes into their room, but I’m happy that you compensated the woman her $30 .  I never asked for any compensation because I had been warned and could’ve prevented at least the quilt from being damaged .  I would suggest bringing your own sheets if you want to continue to tan at an Airbnb or just skip it when you’re traveling